1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

03 chassis ground location?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by SoundZman, Nov 3, 2009.

1. SoundZman

SoundZman New Member

Can anyone tell me where the chassis ground wire is mounted at? I have tried to trace once while working on other things, but couldn't really tell where it went.

I'm have some alternator issue and thinking it may be related to a corroded ground wire. So I want to go ahead and replace and clean up contact points.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

You dont necessarily need to use the old grounds when replacing them.
    Just run new wires from the Battery to a close spot on the frame, spare bolt on the engine block, and convenient point on the body (preferably the Firewall as it has thicker steel and works better).
    Run a new ground from the body to the frame and body to the engine also.
  3. SoundZman

SoundZman New Member

Thanks for the tip, I was thinking about doing that as I started earlier today. I was able to replace the battery negative to block and wire brush the terminals on bat neg to chassis. For anyone else interested, the wire runs from the battery down to the frame just behind the driverside fog light. I might take your advice and relocated the firewall braided steel ground strap as I can't possible get to the other mounting location deep behind the block somewhere. I think I will just take it from the firewall stud to the battery or alternator bolt, I'll kick the idea around for a bit. At this point I don't know if replacing and cleaning contact points has taken care of my problem, it will take a couple of day to verify. Thanks!
  4. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

Never enough grounds

ditto! I'm a firm believer in adding chassis grounds. Engine to frame, body to frame. I like to put a body to frame ground at both the front and rear of the vehicle.

I had a buddy who had an earl schieb $99 paint job. Afterwards the speedo cable kept failing. The added paint had reduced the engine/chassis ground. The engine was grounding through the speedo cable. He added four ground straps and a fresh speedo cable and the problem was gone.