1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

03 "Service 4 wheel drive" message

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by 03z71ls, May 27, 2009.

1. 03z71ls

03z71ls New Member

Another new guy, thats me. I own a 2003 Chevy Silverado, that I have owned from day one. Love the truck and never had ANY major issues. Driving to work this morning my "Service 4 wheel drive" message came on. Have not used 4 Wheel drive in over 3 months (haven't had the time). The truck is driving fine and is not making any noise. The light came on for about 5 minutes and then shut off. When I got to work I shut the truck off and then turned it back on and the message did not come back on. I have 130,000 miles on the truck. But as mentioned have never had any problems with it. The truck is never really taken off road, but I do try and use the 4 wheel drive every once in a while to keep fluids fresh. Whoops Guess I should ask the question, does anyone have any suggestions on this?
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I just looked in the Manual and it said that went the service 4WD message came on, its telling you there may be a Problem with the Automatic Transfer Case.Beyond That I would have someone take a look at it.If the light comes back on.
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
  3. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Drive it for a few more days. If it continues to come on, then you may have a problem. Since you cycled the ignition, and it didn't reset a code, then maybe it was a fluke.

My DIC has said that maybe twice in 4 years. Never have had a problem though
  4. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

welcome to the site
  5. 03z71ls

03z71ls New Member

"Service 4 wheel drive" message

Thanks for the replies, it has not come back on, so I am thinking might just have been a fluke. Appreciate the suggestions. Will post pics soon, nothing really that special about my '03. But it's my Chevy and I love having it.
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Thats good to hear that the light has not come back on,Looking forward to seeing pics of your Ride.:glasses:
  7. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!!!!!
  8. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

welcome to the site
  9. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

ive got a 04 and it does that from time to time.i was told the fluid in the differential was low.so i went to a local place to have them change my oil and check everything out and sure enough the fluids were low.i still havent taken it to the dealer to have them service it yet though
  10. GODZILLA1972

GODZILLA1972 New Member

Service 4wd

the SERVICE 4WD has come on my wife's 05 suburban. we rarely use the 4wd on it. it has no sound or fluid loss from the transfer case. i found somewhere, pull the 'TRAC' fuse for 15 seconds while the truck is running. that cleared the message for about 6 months now.