1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'03 Silverado Intermittent Crank Problem

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jaf, Jan 3, 2010.

1. jaf

jaf New Member

I'm looking for leads to a starting problem on my 03 Silverado 4.3 V6, basic work truck package with only17k miles on it.

The truck has always started within about 2 seconds when cranked. This past weekend, with temps below zero, it failed to crank ... no turn over ... just a click from under the hood. It had the original 7-yr old battery, so I jumped the truck and drove to the store and replaced the battery as the easy thing to do.

Next morning...no start, only the clicks. I tried probably 20 times, continually hearing the clicks. I tried jumping it... still no start, only clicks. Figured I'd try it one more time before towing it, so I had my wife come out and try turning the key while I listened to see where the clicks came from Thinking it might be the starter solenoid. Yup... on her 2nd try it decided to turn over and start right up.

Connections to the battery are new and perfect. I think the solenoid is on the starter under the engine. Is there another switch or relay I should be looking for under the hood to try and debug? Any ideas what to check first? Thanks.