03 Silverado Transmission Slipping

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by CoDaChrome, Dec 10, 2011.

1. CoDaChrome

CoDaChrome Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 2003 Silverado Z71 5.3l 4l60e. when I take off it shifts from 1-2 fine then when I get to 2-3 the RPM's go up about 3k then drop back down and then it shifts to 3rd it stays in 3rd great and the shifts 3-4 great. I changed the trans control solenoids for 1-2 and 2-3 but its still doing the same. Can someone please let me know what to go after next? :neutral:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Not too keen on trans but know some .. usually a slow shift from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 .. means trans needs rebuilt.
    If it was 3 to 4 clutches are shot. What i,am thinking... not sure.

3. CoDaChrome

CoDaChrome Rockstar 100 Posts

Can anyone tell me what changes when you push the tow/haul button on the shifter? when I push it my shifting from 2-3 seems fine. as soon as i turn it back off its back to slipping.:neutral:

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

When the Tow Haul is engaged, it Raises the Line Pressure and the Shift RPM..........It raises the Shift RPM by delaying the Shift Timing.......This is to help Eliminate the Repeated of up and down Shifts in the Transmission,

The Main Goal of the Tow Haul Mode, is to Reduce the amount of Heat Generated, and the Reducing of as much Wear on the Components as Possible.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  5. MPclk2006

MPclk2006 Rockstar

I am no expert but having just gone through this last week, its not going to get better, go get it checked out before it gets worst...mine went from fine to crapped out while i was at work, barely made it home, 1 and 2 slipped, 3 and 4 were gone...