1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'03 Tahoe heated seat turns off after a few minutes.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Chad, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Chad

Chad New Member

I have a 2003 Tahoe with heated seats. Recently, the driver's side seat has been turning itself off after about 3 minutes. I turn it on, it warms up, then trips off for no aparent reason. If I turn the passenger side on ONLY it works fine. If I turn both seats on, the passenger side trips off at the same time as the driver side trips off. When I try to turn the driver's seat back on (after it trips off) it only stays on a few seconds to a minute, depending on how long it has been off. I checked the fuse that was labled ingintion/heated seats on the interior fuse box. It was fine but I replaced it anyways. No better. It almost seems like there is a thermostat that must be sensing the driver's seat is getting too hot and shutting itself off, yet the seat is just getting up to temperature. Has anyone experienced this, and do you have any recommendations how I may further troubleshoot and fix it? It behaves the same way whether I turn on just the back heater or back and cushion.

Thanks
  2. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!:glasses: I'm not sure what is causing this to happen. I hope someone here can help you fix your problem. Good Luck!
  3. Hi,
    I’ve got the same problem with my 04 Silverado, except it’s just my driver seat and it only stays on for a second or two. I’m taking it in to a shop here in a few days and ill let you know what they find out about it.
  4. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I've heard that sometimes the control switch goes bad and will shut them off... Best bet would be to have your local dealer check it, althoughI know that is the expensive route...
  5. Do you think its a hard fix to do by myself?
  6. TritonBoulder47

I usually requires replacing the control head...
  7. Heh, havent had much experience with newer vehicles... last truck had seats... period. Is the control head a hard fix? trying to gain some experience without totally ruining something on my truck.
  8. TritonBoulder47

They are usually easy to replace, just unplug the old one and plug in the new one...
  9. Chad

Chad New Member

Northroad, your problem sounds to me more like a bad heating element in the seat. From the research I have done, it sounds like when heat trips off after just a few seconds, it is a bad heating element, which could be the one that heats the back or the one in the cushion. In my case, it stays on for several minutes until it is up to temp, which is different from anything I've read. I'm afraid I may need to go the dealership route for diagnosis. Was hoping someone on here had either been through the same thing or was familiar enough with the make-up of the heated seat system to pinpoint what would cause it to trip off after reaching a certain temperature. I do appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!!
  10. Well...
    Ive got a buddy whos a mechanic on base... works mostly with army trucks but maybe he will have some idea about the heating element and the control unit. Ill keep you posted if i find out anything/ fix the problem.