1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

03 Wiper issue

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by toyhauler, Dec 12, 2009.

1. toyhauler

toyhauler New Member

Hey all,
    I know this is a common issue with the late 90`s trucks, but my 03 has come down with a similar wiper power issue. Mine had some funny movements on delay, then switch to low constantly without delay and now wont even shut off at all. I can switch to high but I cannot shut them off without pulling the fuse. I thought GM rectified the board problem within the early 2000 models but I`m wondering if that recall should have moved further up the years. Any suggestions other than the board being bad? Maybe the combo switch this time? Any info or suggestion would be very helpful with winter breathing down on my neck.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The whole part is cheap and easy to replace, just do that.
  3. toyhauler

toyhauler New Member

Well, tried the replacement of the combo switch and the issue isnt resolved. Any other suggestions ????? Wipers wont shut off, stay in low even thru delay on the switch, and can be switched to high. Only way to shut them down is to remove the fuse from the fuse panel. Suggestions?
  4. toyhauler

toyhauler New Member

Well, must have come to the wrong site for help. Thanks
  5. matt701

matt701 New Member

I was waiting for someone to help you also as I was having the same issue with my 03 sierra. The wipers would not shut off and I put a switch into the fuse panel as a temp fix. I did a lot of reading on this site which narrowed it down to the circuit board on the back of the motor. I ordered a used motor on ebay for $30..thats with a warranty even and simply swapped out the circuit board on the back of my wiper motor, leaving the existing motor in place. Took me 20 minutes start to finish. I couldn't find just the circuit board anywhere so I guess I have an extra motor should I need it.
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Jason told you how to fix it. :sarcastic:
  7. jmutto

jmutto Rockstar

I had the wiper problem with my 2004; no recall on my rig.

I got a new board that mounts on top of the wiper moter and it fixed the problem. I got the board from my local dealer, so I paid way to much for it (of course) but it fixed the problem.

Board swap takes about 30 minutes (tops) if you know what you are doing.

Simplified steps:

1. Remove wiper arms.
    2. Remove plastic cowling.
    3. Remove and replace control board.
    4. Reassemble.

Good luck.
  8. toyhauler

toyhauler New Member

Thanks for the info, and yes Jason did tell me how to fix it in a vague sense, I tried the switch and tested from there. Thanks for the info and I now know what the culprit was. I havent purchased the board because oddly enough, I changed out the old orginal battery and the system is acting stupid anymore(go figure). Anyways, I`ll wait until they go bonkers again and then I`ll get them fixed up.
    Thanks