Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

04 2500HD stuck in park. Need help please.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by MSBabler, May 19, 2012.

1. MSBabler

MSBabler New Member

I have a problem with my truck. 2004 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 vortec and 4L80E with 138k miles that happened for the first time last week. I drove it normally one day. Parked it on flat ground and then came back the next day. Starts and runs fine. I press in the brake to shift out of park and it won't budge. I even put some muscle behind it and if I put anymore something will definitely break. I did some research some people say it's the brake light switch. So I replaced that and still nothing. Brake lights work fine. I can't get it out of park with the key in any position. I have rocked it back and forth to loosen the pressure on the tranny and it still won't budge. I'm stumped. I've heard it could be anything from the brake/transmission solenoid to the interlock shift. To the ignition switch.. I don't know. I've done little research and have very little time to work work on due to my job. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

bit of a stumper dude. not sure what the issue is with out being there. get sone help and crawl underneath, see if any of the linkage is moving....

Alex
  3. Jaele

Jaele Member 2 Years 100 Posts

when you depress the break make sure the button for the break lights is coming out. Not sure if it has anything to do with it but my Honda did that. Its kind of like a neutral safety switch.
  4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Just a question, anyone know if the lock up solenoid would have anything to do with this problem?
  5. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Maybe your wife/GF likes being locked up in the park. :rofl:
  6. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

Sounds like your interlock solenoid is sticking. It's down on the side of the column. First, unplug it and see if it will shift. If not, see if the rod and linkage moves freely, even unsnap it altogether and see if it will shift. I suspect your problem will be pretty evident. Don't tell anybody, but you can take the whole thing out and drive it without hurting anything, except you will be able to shift out of park without stepping on the brake.
    Good Luck and God Bless
  7. MSBabler

MSBabler New Member

So, I would like to thank everyone for the input, however it was something completely different after digging around underneath the steering column. I ended up pulling the rubber boot on the shifter and there it was, the compression spring that returns the shifter was snapped and jammed in that pocket for it somehow, not allowing me to pull the shifter far enough towards me to shift out of gear. All I did was pull it out with a pliers and replaced it with another compression spring of similar size from the hardware store. So after checking all the solenoids and connections which all worked fine. That's what I found. Very rare and odd, but hopefully this may help someone some day.
  8. gunsworth

gunsworth New Member

saved me a lot of trouble, i was about to tear it all apart and just found your post. my spring was broken too, now i just need to figure out how to get the new one in...
  9. MSBabler

MSBabler New Member

Glad I could help, When I fixed mine I just went to the hardware store and searched for a similar size spring with roughly the same spring rate. I believe it was Ace Hardware, but any shop or hardware store I'm sure will carry a selection. Just pull out the old one with pliers and compress the new one in there and then give it a little test but moving the shifter back and forth.

Hopefully you get it fixed soon so you are able to get back on the road.
  10. gunsworth

gunsworth New Member

went good, should have gone to ace, home depot only had a box full of like 30 springs for 5$ but had one in it that worked fine, rate is a tad lighter but should be just fine. found it easier to put in by popping out the pin that the shifter pivots on. so glad it was a fairly simple fix and i had time to fix it today. This is the truck my lawn crew uses and would have really sucked if i discovered the problem tomorrow morning... good to know what it was too because my 2500 has the same chunky feel this one had (spring was broken in 3 peices lol), so i am guessing that one is on borrowed time, and the box had a couple of these springs so ill probably tackle that one in the next few days. Thanks again, without this post i would have tried to fix a bunch of things that weren't broken. Dont know how people got by without the internet in the old days