1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

04 4.8 Exhaust

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by mitchdakid, Sep 10, 2007.

1. mitchdakid

mitchdakid New Member

So getting ready to build me an exhaust, is it ok to make it a true dual system, or do I need to stick with just one 3' pipe. I want to make it a dual 2 and1/4 that exits out the side with 2 flowmaster 40's. I have heard people say that true duals could be damaging. Any ideas?? Thanks

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well, with an 04, you're going to have to make some concessions for various things. The first one that comes to mind is oxygen sensors. You should have AT LEAST 1 oxygen sensor on the exhaust, if not 4. If there's a O2 sensor after the catalytic converter, you're gonna have to keep a cat there so that the readings to the computer aren't out of whack. That is a V6 or V8 right? I'm assuming that you know if it isn't a V motor, you really can't do it easily...

3. mitchdakid

mitchdakid New Member

The 4.8 is V8 and it is a vortec, I will leave all the sensors, just put them in the new exhaust and sorry I meant to mention it will be a cat back. Just was not sure if this would help performance or kill it, because there was no back pressure.

4. Toymyster

Toymyster Rockstar 100 Posts

If it's a cat back, then it's not a "true" dual. Since it is cat back, it shouldn't affect much of anything!! Most of the needed back pressure is provided by the cat anyway.