04 Colorado V8 swap (Lot's of pics!)

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by TRPLXL2, Jan 18, 2013.

1. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well our transmission cooler thermostat went bad, It was the probe style from Summit Racing. We decided not to go with that style again, so we found an inline -6AN thermostat from Summit Racing. $56.00, and it's non adjustable 180 turn on, and 165 turn off.

The rear end got damaged slightly at the welders shop, so I retouched it up today with my spare paint.

IMG_0344.jpg IMG_0345.jpg IMG_0349.jpg IMG_0351.jpg

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I love your Rear Paint job that is.....:glasses:

3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I like those shrinky hose clamps. Even made in the good ol USA. but how would you remove the hose if needed.

4. TRPLXL2

Dsfloyd- The powergrip clamps are a one time use deal, meaning if you have to remove the hose you must use a razor blade and cut the clamp off. I bought a couple spares just to have, that is the only down side to them. They are still going strong, no leaks as of yet.

5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

thats what I figured but still a pretty nice clean system. glad to hear it works so far.

6. Gold Z

Gold Z Member

Wow is all I can say. I really enjoyed watching your build. Great work. Great truck. Congrats.

7. TRPLXL2

When we finished the engine swap last year, we put a temporary exhaust on which consisted of 2.5" straight pipes SLP mufflers, and turn downs under the cab. There was a small bit of restriction with the 2.5" pipe, so we decided to redo the exhaust in 3".

New exhaust setup--

Doug Thorley Tri-Y long tube headers>>3" pipe true dual setup>>"X" pipe>>2 walker hi-flow cats>>3" pipes back to under the rear bumper. SLP Loudmouth II mufflers at the very end of the pipes.

Price List

Tubing bender (Harbor Frieght 16 ton) $139.00 on sale, bends 1/2"-3" tubing/pipe
    X pipe- $25.00 (swap meet)
    2-Walker Hi Flow cats- (Summit Racing) $44.00 each
    SLP mufflers (Summit Racing $99.00 each
    4-7.5' sections of aluminized 3" tubing (Summit Racing) $14.95 each
    Exhaust hangers and clamps $30.00
    2-3" woodburner end caps, $6.99 each
    Bag of play sand $4.99

IMG_0368.jpg IMG_0369.jpg IMG_0370.jpg IMG_0371.jpg IMG_0372.jpg IMG_0373.jpg IMG_0374.jpg IMG_0367.jpg

8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Now thats fun work...... NOT!!!

9. TRPLXL2

Yeah exhaust work is not at the top of my list ever!! Very tiring, especially since the pipes were full of sand while bending. Not to mention getting up and down from under the truck, test fitting the pipes.

Here's a couple more pics of the exhaust, I got the tail pipes perfect the first time. We wanted them to exit out the same location, originally It was going to be split out the sides at an angle.

The last picture is the old temporary exhaust, basicaly just two straight pipes, SLP Loudmouth II mufflers and turn down tips all in 2.5". This is now on my 97 Firebird, so It did not go to waste.

IMG_0377.jpg GOPR0007.jpg IMG_0390.jpg IMG_0399.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI356cbPU2s

This is a short video of the new exhaust, you can hear the nice sound on acceleration. And it's basically quiet when cruising, no droan. Keep in mind the camera is less than a foot away from BOTH mufflers, try that with your flowmasters lol!

10. TRPLXL2

Well I know it's been a while since I updated this thread, but we have had a ton of stuff happen. First off we took the truck to a local exhaust shop, and had the exhaust redone and fully welded. Well In the process the engine bay caught fire, It was caused by a short in the PIAA relay up front on the bullbar. It melted ALL of the aftermarket wiring, and burned right through the inline fuses on the other wires. Everything was wired direct to the battery, thankfully nothing was tied into the factory wiring. The Optima battery did not explode, and it's still ticking away like it's brand new. Lesson learned, no more aftermarket lighting...........for now.

IMG_0984.jpg IMG_0983.jpg IMG_0982.jpg IMG_0981.jpg IMG_0979.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Some more pictures of the fire damage, we had to power wash the engine bay with Purple Power to get all the fire extinguisher junk out. Fuse box was untouched believe it or not, but the fuse box cover and battery box were torched.

IMG_0985.jpg IMG_0986.jpg IMG_0987.jpg IMG_0988.jpg IMG_0989.jpg