1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

04 express tranny troubles

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by Paperboy719, Nov 24, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Paperboy719

Paperboy719 New Member

Hello,

I am curious if anyone else is having any sort of tranny problems with their express vans. Mine Is a 6.0l 3500 2wd 106,000miles. I'm so frustrated this is the 3rd time I need to replace the tranny. I purchased with 60k miles from a dealer and bought a 3rd party warranty with it. At 65k, the tranny made a weird noise mostly in first and second gear and the Chevy dealer said it needed to be rebuilt or replaced. The warranty covered this, but they installed a used tranny not a new one. 1 week after being replaced. It started dumping fluid while I was driving. I took it back, they replaced it again with a different one.

Things were fine for the next 2 years and now I'm at 114k. I didn't drive the van for 5 months and had no tranny problems when I parked it. Started to drive it the other day and in the first few miles I felt the tranny slipping out of gear. The next day it was slipping terribly. Now I have no reverse, and cannot start from a dead stop if the lever is in D, but if I put the lever in 3, it will drive like there's no issue and shift through gears 1-3 without slipping at all. And what's even weirder is if I get to 50+ mph I can put the lever into D and it shifts to 4th and overdrive fine. Slow down to a stop and I have to put it back into 3 or it won't move.

Does anyone have any comments or experienced any sort of issue similar to mine. Do these trannies just suck or am I hitting a string of bad luck?

Thanks
    Chase