04" GMC Envoy SUV---Towing A Boat

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by bighammer, Jun 26, 2014.

1. bighammer

bighammer New Member

I HAVE A 2004 GMC ENVOY XUV WITH ON LY 42KKK ON IT BOUGHT FROM A WIDOW THEY BOUGHT IT BRAND NEW, MY ? IS IT DOES NOT HAVE TOW AND HAUL ON IT, DO I JUST PUT IT IN REGULAR DRIVE OR #3 ON THE DASH ? ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED THANKS BIGH:glasses:

2. kennythewelder

kennythewelder Active Member 500 Posts

The transmission will automatically select the correct gear. You can just use it in 4th.or O.D. before they had a tow hall button that's all you could do. My 1997 Silverado 5.7L has no tow hall button and I use to pull my bass boat just fine no problem. Welcome to the forum

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

We need just a little more Information on this 04" GMC Envoy, Do you know what Size Engine-n-Rear Gears it has??......it most Likely has the 4L60E 4-Speed Auto Transmission....and "D" is Over-Drive"......Depending on What Rear Gears this Vehicle has and the Weight of the Boat your going to be Towing.....3rd Gear would be the Better Choice....but this All Depends on
    the Weight of the Boat and the Engine-n-Gears the Vehicle has??.....also if it has the Factory Tow Package.

To find out what Gears your Vehicle has,....Inside your Glove Box is a White Tag/Sticker....which is the Service Parts I.D. Tag(Pictured Below)and on it you will see your Vehicles Vin # Number and a Series of Letter's and Number's which are RPO Codes.....which stands for Regular Production Options...In Short what that Vehicle came with from the Factory, you will be look for one of the Following RPO Codes.
    GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
    GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
    GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO

GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
    GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO

G80 -- LOCKER

Here's the Service Parts Identification Label
    [​IMG]

The RPO Code for the Factory Tow Package is....Z82.....TOW/TRAILER EQUIPMENT, HD.....it Includes Trailer Hitch Platform. 7 Wire Harness, K47 High Capacity Air Cleaner, (KNP) Cooling External Transmission Cooler.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  4. bighammer

bighammer New Member

thanks

thanks kenny the welder for the information it was helpfull thanks again:glasses::glasses:

5. kennythewelder

kennythewelder Active Member 500 Posts

Sure, your welcome

6. bighammer

bighammer New Member

i just returned from vaction and the info i was given in this site was very helpfull everything worked fine driving in overdrive but gas milage not so good averaged 15 and halve mpg, but i have another ? where can i find an owners manuel , because we found out the roof will retract and i understand they on ly made 12000 of these models any help will be greatly appreciated, you guys have been very helpfull already thanks bigh