1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

04 gmc rear brake caliper brackets

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dave13net, Sep 17, 2013.

1. dave13net

dave13net Member

i have a 2004 gmc 1500 sierra 4wd, need to replace rear brake rotors and pads and rusted out backing plates. tried to get caliper brackets off but would not budge, was told to use heat on bracket (didn't try yet) waiting for weekend so not to tie vehicle up . can't seem to get the bolts loose,afraid to much pressure will break them off. can't get impact gun in there either. any help would be appreciated, DUE NEXT MONTH FOR INSPECTION
    thanks,dave

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

penetrating oil, heat and breaker bar. I think on my truck the bracket torque spec is over 225 ft-lbs. Not as high on a 1500 but I remember fighting the bolts initially. Also arent they torqx heads, so make sure you have a quality one as I have had a few cheap sockets twist easily.
  3. dave13net

dave13net Member

the bolts are 17mm and i did try penetrating oil, but not any good spots to actually get it in there. threads go in behind rotor itself. thanks for the info
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have never had to heat them and I have done probably 15 or 20 of them. I just use a 1/2" breaker bar that is 2 ft long, then I slide a long 4 or 5 foot pipe over the end. Yea, there is not much room for the pipe. I usually have to jack the truck up high enough that I can get some room between the ground and the body of the truck. Luckily, I have never broken one either.
  5. dave13net

dave13net Member

ok thanks for the info, just hope i don't break them either, don't need that problem too
  6. Pikey

As far as the backing plates go. If you want to do oem replacements then you have to pull the axle shafts. I have seen people use the aftermarket 2 piece plates and they work well. You would just need to cut the old plates off and then bolt the new 2 piece on.
  7. dave13net

dave13net Member

ok thanks, thought i would have to pull axles anyway,just more work. where would i get the 2 piece if i wanted to go that way?
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  8. Pikey

I think that advance, autozone, and napa all carry them
  9. zippstripp

zippstripp New Member

Those bolts can be a bear. Heat won't hurt the bolt. Not to mention the factory also uses a thread locker on them so heat would help loosen that up.
  10. dave13net

dave13net Member

ok. thanks