1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

04 quadrasteer 2500 rear end slipping

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Shznit65, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Shznit65

Shznit65 New Member

I have a 2004 Chevy 2500 quadrasteer . The rear end lube is a special synthetic type. I had it in the shop a few times since new to have the rear end fluid changed out because of a noise when reversing. I have noticed that upon starting from a stop the rear end slips just a bit every now and then. Always at a stop light when warmed up. I figured that the fluid must be low so I went and got some lube from the dealer. When I opened the nut on the side of the rear end ,fluid flowed out. I replaced the nut quickly. The manual says that the fluid level should be 1/4 " below the hole. I was on level ground. The truck was hot. Does the fluid expand ? Do I need to let it cool down. It looks like there is too much fluid in it! Would that make it slip. Truck has 130,000 on it.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I don't think that the fluid would expand that much. But, The metal components will expand when hot. It should not be enough to make a major difference. To much fluid should not cause any kind of slipping. Some of the GM limited slip rear ends require a friction modifier added to the fluid when changed. A friction modifier can either increase or decrease friction in the lube, depending on the application and engineering. Is it possible that the friction modifier was not added? I don't know if the lack of the modifier would cause slipping in the rear end. I am sure that others will post saying that they never add it and never had an issue. GM puts it in those systems for a reason. My advice would be to take it to a good rear end shop and have them check it out. Most good and experienced shops will test drive it for free and be able to tell you what the problem, if any, is without even opening the pig.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  3. Shznit65

Shznit65 New Member

The manual says not to add friction modifier on the quadrasteer. I will probably need to take it in!
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Let use know the outcome!
  5. Shznit65

Shznit65 New Member

I will. thanks