1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

04 rear end into 98

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by acatzl550, Oct 31, 2011.

1. acatzl550

acatzl550 New Member

Will a rear end out of a 04 2wd bolt right in to a 98 4x4? They are both the same gear ratio, but the 04 rear end has G80 and my 98 does not. Which is the reason I want to do the swap.

Thanks
  2. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 New Member

a 2wd axle is wider normally than the 4x4 axle (van axles are the widest btw)but you are also throwing in the mix a different body style, as long as the spring perches are in the same spot and it has the same pinion yoke it will physically bolt in but may be wider than your current axle.

if the 04 is disk brake then you may have another issue

personally i would stay away from any g80 governor bomb unit as they were the worst thing gm ever put in a axle, there is a reason why junk yards get a premium for those axles, people that blow them up for some reason always think they need another and junk yards know it and charge more for a axle that will eventually blow up again
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  3. acatzl550

acatzl550 New Member

Yes, the 04 axle has disk brakes. Do you know any cheap way to put a locking rear diff in?
  4. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 New Member

personally i would use a 6 lug 14 bolt and use something like a auburn posi or even a standard eaton posi but not the g80 unit which is also made by eaton
  5. acatzl550

acatzl550 New Member

what do you think about powertrax lock right differential?
  6. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 New Member

similar to a detroit locker, its not as forgiving as a clutch style posi so you will see more tire wear, i have heard of failures when used with tires larger than stock, not sure what kind of failure rate there really is