1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

04 Sierra 1500 Steering Issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by skooba0201, Jan 7, 2008.

1. skooba0201

skooba0201 New Member

I have an 04 GMC Sierra, 4x4, 1500, standard cab, short bed, 4.8L V8....it ran great for the past year i owned it, however now it has steering issuses. Driving through a parking lot, pulling into my driveway, or making a turn while braking, the steering locks up, it takes both hands to turn and you have to force it to go. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The steering locks up, or gets real hard to turn?
    Is it hard to turn steering wheel when the truck is at a dead stop?
    Sounds like the power steering pump may be in the process of self destructing.
  3. skooba0201

skooba0201 New Member

I should have better explained it...it gets really hard to turn when you're still moving but stopping, like when pulling into a parking spot or driveway, then at a dead stop, it is really hard to turn, and will only go about a quarter turn either way even using both hands, you have to force it to go if youre at a dead stop. The resivoir is full and no leaks anywhere, the truck only has 50,000 miles on it
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Your loosing the power assist. The pump maybe going out, or you may have a fluid blockage.
    Try to flush the system and check 2 things:
    1. Do you get any small bits of particles when you strain the fluid, or does it leave a silvery coating in the bottom of the catch pan.
    2. Does this improve the steering.

A power steering system uses no filters except for a couple small orofices that are in line, they really arent designed as filters more to restrict to much fluid, when they get clogged you have steering issues as you described.

Another issue could be the speed sensitive sensor in the system not working properly.
    When your driving slowly or at a stop it requires more assistance from the pump to turn the wheels in the chosen direction.
  5. skooba0201

skooba0201 New Member

Thanks alot for your help. Ill try those and see if it helps. I appreciate it
  6. skooba0201

skooba0201 New Member

Thanks alot for the help....it did end up bein the pump....i got a new one in it today...it is so much better now