04 Silverado Audio Upgrade (minor)

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by mbear2k, May 8, 2010.

1. mbear2k

mbear2k New Member

Hello all - we have a very basic 2004 Silverado 1500, standard cab, V6, Manual with an ear splitting (in a bad way) stock AM/FM stereo.

I'd like to do a minor upgrade and replace the speakers and the head unit. I like most things to look original and am not looking for flourescent neon, or video, or GPS - just basic radio and CD that sounds better than road and wind noise. Bluetooth and Ipod would be okay...

One of my original thoughts was to find an OEM GM CD head unit to keep things simple and original looking and see what options I have for replacing the speakers. And while I'm still open to that, need the real story on security codes, wiring connectors, tips for buying a pulled head unit, speaker options, etc.

I'm also open to the aftermarket. But not sure I would like the look of a single DIN unit in that opening... any suggestions here for a good fitting unit that doesn't cost a fortune? What does fit nicely - 1.5, 2 DIN?

Thanks,
    M

2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I'm not too familiar w/ the 2 DIN head units but I'm sure it can't be too much different than installing a 1 DIN unit, just use a different mounting trim.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CX400/Clarion-CX400.html?tp=5684

you're also gonna need this wiring harness

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMRC01/GM-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html?tp=3486

Yes it is a ripoff at $80 for some wires and a little plastic box, but Crutchfield wil give it to you for 50% off when you buy a head unit $129 or more. Anyway, getting to the radio is easy, just remove the dash trim and then there are 3 screws (7mm I think) that hold the radio in place. Remove the screws and the radio slides right out. You're then gonna splice the connectors on the aftermarket radio's wiring harness to the GM connector harness. Then plug the aftermarket harness into the factory harness in your dash, slide the new radio in, put the screws back in and you're all set.

3. c_m_chance

c_m_chance Rockstar 100 Posts

I actually just finished my new head unit install yesterday in my 04 Silverado. I have the OEM GM CD head unit that I took out. If you wan't, I'll sell it to you.

As far as new speakers go, I HIGHLY recommend Alpine! They are amazing! The system I just installed was all Alpine (head unit, amp, and door speakers). It sounds amazing! I used to have an 86 Chevy, and in it I had a full Alpine system too and it was flawless! I have experienced Kenwood and JVC before and neither one of them can compare to Alpine! That's just my two cents on that.

4. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I would go with a aftermarket head unit. They will power the speakers better then what your OEM head unit will. If you go with OEM you will need to have it reprogrammed by a dealership so that it will work with your truck. I heard that it's around $80 to have it reprogrammed. You can use up to a double din head unit for your truck.