04 Silverado.. need help with left/leveling advice

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by firefighter0413, Apr 1, 2012.

1. firefighter0413

firefighter0413 New Member

I have an 04 Silverado 1500 Z71 and I bought a newer set of tires (33 inch) and my front end scrapes. I went by some coworkers advice and just turned my torsion keys up all the way. After some research, I see it's not good and my truck rides like crap. I am doing alot of work on it so I don't want to spend a whole lot of money just to get it riding smooth. Any advice?

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You can always put a 3" body lift on it. They are fairly inexpensive and pretty easy to do yourself. Search around the forum I have seen a few posters recommending certain body lifts. I don't remember what brand it was. But, it came with rear bumper brackets. Also you might want to invest in some lift lips to close the gap that will show after you lift it.

3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

A leveling kit is pretty cheap, relatively speaking, and is not too difficult to put on. When I had my 33s, I also had the Readylift 2 1/4" kit and was very happy with it. A good quality kit like the Readylift will probably run about $200.

4. lquattro04

lquattro04 Rockstar

Readylift is what i have on my truck right now and she rides just like it came from the factory. I do believe they are slightly over $200 though. Shop different sites and I'm sure you can get a decent deal.

5. firefighter0413

I will look around guys. What did you mean my lift lips? i've never heard of those? and any idea on how to get the torsion bars back to their orginal position? you guys really are a ton of help. ole buddy of mine told me to join this site... great choice.

6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I think what Pikey is referring to are items that help conceal the gaps once you install a body lift, since you are essentially separating the body from the frame. I've never used a body lift, so I am not 100% positive though (new term for me too!). Someone else will hopefully chime in soon regarding the torsion bars....my truck doesn't have the them. However, if you do end up going down the leveling kit path, I believe for your truck the kit includes new torsion bars.

7. firefighter0413

Good. So in reality, my truck is or isn't riding on torsion bars? I really want a smoother ride!

8. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Your truck is on torsion bars, and I haven't heard of a leveling kit with torsion bars included. What you get is a pair of keys that you replace the stock ones with (will need an unloading tool to do so which if I remember right runs about $80) and then you can crank the torsions back to stock and it will sit a little more level, or you can crank them until they are level. You can also crank your stock torsion keys and get it level that way, however you will need to realign it and cranking the stock keys will cause some wicked angles on your ball joints and other front end components making them wear out faster. I myself have a Pro Comp kit on my truck and have had zero problems. I had it installed by my local tire shop, and it ran me a little over $250 which if I remember right was cheaper than buying the kit and the torsion bar unloading tool, or maybe it was slightly more, but don't quote me on that.

IIRC, there are only two companies that make body lifts for the Silverado: Zone Offroad and Performance Accessories. I know that Zone does have rear bumper brackets (sold separately) and I believe the PA kit does have them too, though not sure if they are included or not.

9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I would so go with a leveling kit and leave those body lifts alone. The gap guards as I have heard them called hide the gap as mfleetwood said. Body lifts have a place and a use but in my opinion this isn't one of em.

10. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Agreed with the leveling approach. There are a lot of users on this site that have leveled their rigs and seem really happy. And with the leveling kit, you should have no issue clearing the 33s.