1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

04 Silverado Not Sealing windows at high speed

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Bowtied, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys, there is a huge annoyance with my truck when driving at highway speeds, it seems that air is passing thru the windows into the cab and is not making a proper seal.

The rubber sealing around the door itself is in good condition but im not sure how well its "adhering" to the door. When going at highway speed, if i "tuck" and press the rubber sealing up into the door from where it hangs at the window it seems to help reduce the noise, this may just be me imagining things as well as it may only be "shifting" the noise, temporarily.

I have never had to deal with this issue in a vehicle (except for driving a car that had been wrecked and we knew it didnt seal well) but this is insane, from a truck that has never been in an accident, to be making such loud wind seeping noises at highway speeds.

Has anyone been thru the same issue, or know any tips to rectify this problem?
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

spray the door sealing rubbers with silicone spray . wipe off excess. then if necessary adjust the closures so that the doors close tighter but just a very small amount each time. use a pencil marker on the latch adjust to see the amount of adjusting.
  3. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Window to door or door to cab? Ext cab 4 door or reg cab?
  4. Bowtied

Its Door to cab on an ext-cab. Just the front two doors seem to cause the issue.

How does one adjust the closures? i'm not familiar with what those are. is it a screw-driven mechanism near the latch or?
  5. j cat

my 2000 you have latches on the pillar or rear door. these catch the front door . with a torx socket just loosen and move inward. use a pencil to mark position before adjusting it don't take much to have the door close tighter. silicone spray will swell the rubber so do that first then after a day make the adjustment. the rubber shrinks and the door pins wear causing this.
  6. Bowtied

thank you for that extra bit of info, and to be straight, I dont need to remove the rubber from the door to spray the silicone in right? Im trying to imagine how im going to do this, the silicone spray is to simply lube the rubber pieces or to cause them to adhere to the surface of the door

(ie: dont spray where the door touches the rubber when it closes, spray where the rubber meets the door-well)

example.JPG
  7. j cat

you spray the silicone on the rubbers all or if the spray is too much spray on a sponge and cover all the rubber as you caN. this will soften and swell the gaskets/rubber slightly and also repel water. I spray the rubber window guides with the window down . this makes the window slide easy.

with this not ever done , you may have to do this a few times. this silicone does keep the rubber in good condition for over 10 years 17 yrs on one vehicle my 1996 rubbers are like new.

all these rubbers shrink as they age this reduces the shrink.