1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

04 Silverado, rebuilt transfer- case still 4X4 issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by metalfingers, Jan 12, 2011.

1. metalfingers

metalfingers New Member

2004 silverado 2500HD crew cab 6.0L 4X4 auto trans, manual shift transfer case.

found my transfer case lost all its fluid & tore some stuff up. I took it to a reputable transmission shop for a rebuild. After putting it back together there was a growling sound that he wasn't satisfied with. He took it apart again & inspected everything & couldn't find the problem.

It's now back together and I'm driving it, 4WD is working, but here's the symptoms:

slight ticking/grinding sound in 2H, gets louder in 4H (seems to be resonating up through the floor shifter)

Now, the N & 4L positions on the transfer case is where things get hairy. While the truck is idling in neutral, trying to shift the transfer case into N is about impossible, it grinds like crazy. Turn the ignition off & the grinding will stop & allow you to shift between N & 4L but it does take some finagling. It seems that none of the transfer case shifting, although working, is nearly as smooth as it used to be.

Please help:neutral: