Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

04 Suburban won't shift into 3rd or 4th

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Sunnyfl, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Sunnyfl

Sunnyfl New Member

No computer codes, and started right after I filled the gas tank up. Gets to 30 mph and rpm's shot up to 4,000. Took it to the transmission shop and was told it's not the transmission. Although at one time it had codes for bank 1 and bank 2 three days after this started, but went off on their own without being cleared. 2 shift solenoids were replaced and fluid was good, according to this repair guy. But still in limp mode. Was told it could be the computer, wiring, or to go back to when it started when filling up with gas. Was told maybe the fuel tank module or float is stuck. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

By any chance do you have a aftermarket remote start?
  3. Sunnyfl

Sunnyfl New Member

No, I don't. I have noticed that since it started limp mode, the gear shifter seems loose like it moves thru the gears will very little force and there is a clicking sound at each gear that I don't recall being there before. This is the first time I have ever experienced an issue like this and it's hard now for me to tell if it's normal or not. Nothing has been added or replaced recently before this started. The last service was an oil change.
  4. bigdawg33

bigdawg33 New Member

My son had a similer problem with his car.It would lock in limp mode it was his shift solenoid about 200 hundred to fix. good luck
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

6. Sunnyfl

Sunnyfl New Member

2 shift selonoids have been replaced already. Can bad O2 sensors cause loss of 3rd and 4th gear? The check engine light isn't on and no codes at this time. But there is a hissing sound that cycles on and off when driving in 2nd now. I'm almost to the point of giving up on this big burban. If it is the transmission, I'm not sure how much life it has left in it to have the transmission rebuilt or replaced. Thanks for all your responses ;)
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would take it to a different trans guy. your hissing could be fluid pushing passed seals. If it runs well and is in good condition, I would not give it up. A new trans is $1500. In my opinion it sure beats a new car payment. If you buy something else used you never know what problems you are inheriting. you can rack up $1500 pretty fast. You would have a CEL if you had O2 sensor issues. It could be an issue with the system that tells the solenoids to shift. I would still have another trans shop look at it.
  8. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would also check the MAF sensor if its dirty it can cause all kinds of goofy things