04 Tahoe battery gauge is doing the hammer dance

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by obie, Mar 26, 2010.

1. obie

obie New Member

So I was pulling up to my garage and i noticed that the low beams were "flickering" every few seconds. I look down at my battery gauge and it's going crazy, it never goes into the red but it gets too low for comfort.(this was 2 days ago) Tonight I stopped at a light and the headlights got really dim and then the tahoe shuttered like it was going to die. Alternator? I just put silverstars in a couple weeks ago, do they draw that much more power?

2. 07silverado07

07silverado07 Rockstar 100 Posts

yea it sounds like to me your alternator is on its way out. na siverstars dont draw the much more amps. go to your local autozone or advance auto parts and get the to check your battery and alternator. they do it for free. wouldnt hurt to be sure

3. jplyler

jplyler New Member

yea it for sure sounds like your alt is going out

4. pmartin816

pmartin816 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

X3 on the altenator.

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Have you checked ALL your grounds and power connections. if you have loose or corroded power wires you can get the same effect that a crappy altornater would give you. But if it is your altornater stop driving the truck, they can seize up and it could screw alot of things up if it happens

6. obie

obie New Member

I'll run up to AZ tomorrow and have them check both and if that fails I'll start checking grounds and connections. This will be my first problem in 110,000 miles so i'm pretty happy with the ol hoe :). Thanks for the help guys! Oh yea didn't drive it today I got to ride around in my wife's Kia Sportage :(

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010