1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

04 Yukon 2500 6.0 low oil pressure

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by tlcdiesel, Jan 29, 2010.

1. tlcdiesel

tlcdiesel New Member

Hi, I'm new to the site. I have an 04 Yukon 2500 6.0L with 123,000 miles, that has an oil pressure issue. I have had it to the dealer and still do not know what the problem is. The oil pressure gauge reads low. Low enough that the low oil pressure chime comes on at idle. The sending unit has been replaced. Did not fix the problem. The dealer is telling me that the oil pressure reading at the oil filter is 35psi and at the sending unit it is only 8psi. What would cause the oil pressure reading to be significantly different from the oil filter to the sending unit? It had lifter noise. Dealer diagnosed it as a collapsed lifter. Paid 1350.00 to have lifters on left side replaced and new oil pump installed. Did not fix the problem and still makes lifter noise. GM Tech service is saying to tear down the engine and inspect?? Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. Thundare

Thundare Rockstar 100 Posts

Welcome to the site man, The oil pressure could also be a problem with your trucks on board Computer. As for the lifter noise how does it sound, Does it sound like its coming near from the valve cover?
  3. tlcdiesel

tlcdiesel New Member

It sounds like lifter noise. I took the valve cover off and inspected but saw nothing unusual.
  4. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!:glasses: Looks like Thundare may have answered, or helped you figure out your question. There are a bunch of members here who know what they are talking about. Good luck, and I hope you can get it fixed soon.
  5. Thundare

Thundare Rockstar 100 Posts

I have looked around and there have been people saying Pennzoil causes lifter noise, they switched to a new oil and they claimed it stooped.
  6. tlcdiesel

tlcdiesel New Member

I have used two different oils. Right now it has valvoline in it. I think I'm going to pull the intake and/or oil pan to see if there is a cam bearing that has worked its way out. This is what the dealer is suggesting. We'll see! Still trying to figure out what would be causing the different oil pressure readings.???? Oil pressure at the oil filter is 35psi and at the sender it is only 8psi. This is the reason for the lifter noise but what is the cause of different oil pressure readings??
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  7. Chevyboy96

Chevyboy96 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Welcome To The Site, Hope To See You Around:glasses:
  8. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

welcome to the club!
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The dealer might be on to something, it's possible an oil gallery is opened up due to a main crank bearing slipping out and the pressure is dumping off into the pan causing the different readings.
  10. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!!