1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'05 2500 taillight - will '02 lens fit?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by sugarhillctd, Dec 12, 2011.

1. sugarhillctd

sugarhillctd New Member

I REALLY don't like the look of the newer (mid- 2000s) taillight lenses- see the image.

2004_2007_2005_2006_04_05_06_07_Chevy_Silverado_Tail_Light.jpg

I would prefer the style of the earlier lenses (like my previous 2002 2500HD) that are smooth and don't have the flat semi-circles.

Does anyone know if I can just swap lenses or is the housing different too? Hard to tell from pictures.

Thanks,

John
  2. ChevyHD

ChevyHD Rockstar 100 Posts

Im not positive on your question, but I have the 02 tailights and prefer the new style... Possible deal? lol
    This would be something im interested in knowing though.
  3. sugarhillctd

sugarhillctd New Member

ChevyHD,

Simply put- if our trucks were side by side, could we just swap the red taillight lenses? Would mine fit on your taillight assemblies and would yours fit on my truck?
    I would hope that the light assemblies (what the bulbs plug into) are the same and an '02 lens (the red covering) would just screw or snap onto my '05 light assembly.

John
  4. ChevyHD

ChevyHD Rockstar 100 Posts

I was looking on gmpartsdirect.com and these Heavy Duty harness ones say 01-07 but the regular fleetside ones have a differnt harness. I think they will all line up though.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My neighbor has an 05 and I have an 02. If I see him outside today I will go see if you can try switching them. I am interested also as I like the newer lights over the older.
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

.......The 99'-02" Taillights should bolt-up to the 03-07" and fit....and Vise a Versus......but keep in mind that the 99"-02"' have a Total of 3 Bulbs and the 03"-07" Taillights have a Total of 4 Bulbs and IIRC the Sockets, that the bulbs mount into on the taillights are different between the 99'-02" and the 03"-07"......when I did the swap on my truck.......along with buying a set of 04" Taillights, bought the 04" Taillight Wiring Harness.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  7. sugarhillctd

sugarhillctd New Member

Thanks for looking folks- I'll be interested in any input. But it looks like what heartbeat added makes a simple lens swap a non-starter.

Glad someone likes the newer ones- not my taste. Kind-of like the interior (plastic) chrome "fast and furious" taillights. :no:
  8. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

actually been wondering about swapping from the gmc ones on my 05 to the chevy ones....

i think on the gmcs they are only 3 bulb tho....

ill have to go look.

Alex
  9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Alex.....Your Correct......the 04" to 07" GMC Sierra Taillights are the ones that the 99"-02" Silverado's came with...so there are still only 3 lights on each taillight.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011