1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

05 max trailer weight

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Hoyt06, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Hoyt06

Hoyt06 Member

i have an 05 silverado 1500 crew cab short box 5.3L LS The sticker on the inside of the drivers door is so faded you can't read it. How can I tell what my gear ratio is? Is it stamped on the axle maybe?? I call the dealership with the vin # but they are taking their sweet time getting back to me.. According to the manual it is either 3.42 or 4.10 I'm thinking its the 3.42 cuz I get around 19-20 mpg on the highway averaging 70 mph or so.... Any suggestions????:happy:

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

so it's either 7400lbs or 8400 lbs max
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There is also a 3.73 gear ratio. You can look up VIN decoder codes here on the site and thru your vin it will also give you the RPO codes for your truck. Also the RPO codes are written in the glove box. You are looking for a GT and a number.. there is an RPO code listing here on the site as well, and that will tell you the gear ratio.
  3. Hoyt06

Hoyt06 Member

there is a GU6 and a G80 thats all it has for the "G"'s
  4. murdog94

That is the 3.42 with the limited slip.
  5. Hoyt06

Hoyt06 Member

thanks.. looking to get a camper that weights 6000 you think thats too much weight????

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

I feel its alot, but it would only be a handful of times a year and I don't want to "kill" my truck just for a camper..don't feel like replacing my tranny any time soon
  6. murdog94

Just use tow haul mode. No problems with 6K plbs when i had my 06 i had the 3.42s and never had a problem pulling 7K lbs a few times a year. Just make sure you get a brake controller for the electic brakes, and a wieght distribution hitch.
  7. Hoyt06

Hoyt06 Member

yea already have those, thanks for the input