1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

05 Sierra dash lights/radio lights

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by JohnnyZJ, Oct 10, 2012.

1. JohnnyZJ

JohnnyZJ New Member

this is a random issue. the dash lights and radio lights/climate control lights all seem to turn off randomly when driving. it seems to happen only at night, when the headlights are turned on. if i play with the light switch they will flicker on and off but aren't really staying.

also, at night, the interior lights won't stay on when i open the doors. (when head lights on) but after they turn off, if i use the key fob to unlock the door the interiors work fine.

just wondering if anyone is having such gremlins. i'm thinking i might replace the battery anyways as its 7 years old but i don't think this is the issue. truck also runs just fine regardless of the lights being on or off, and it will still shift into 4wd as well (donno if that would be related)

all help appreciated thanks!
  2. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you play with the switch and they flicker, then I would guess that the switch is bad.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That fits with my way of thinking, too -- i.e. something switch related. Maybe it's the switch. Maybe it's a loose connection to the switch. Maybe it's a wire connected to it that has a short only when it's in a certain position and jiggling it moves it from that position. You get the idea...
  4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The light bulb is burned out in the one in my 2000 silverado so I am going to replace it. I was looking at an led conversion for it as people have done it. The part isn''t that bad price wise for a new one though:

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D1595...&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

I am sure it is $200 from the dealer:)

The bulb in mine is some strange mini bulb that I can put a 5mm LED and appropriate resister in to replace the bulb. But if the switch is not working, the replacement is the best bet.

Batteries don't like extreme temperature changes....... really cold, really hot. so anywhere in Canada would get really cold winters; 7 years is a long time for a battery up there.

I got 7 years out of my last battery but the temperature does not swing quite as much in the extremes in North Carolina as it would up there.

It would be smart to replace it sooner than when you are stuck on the road somewhere at this point.
  5. JohnnyZJ

JohnnyZJ New Member

i ordered a new switch off rockauto today for 60$ delivered to canehdah. hopin it fixes it. if not, bon fire! lol