05 Silverado 2500 HD automatic- what trans is in it?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by aquaholic, Dec 8, 2010.

1. aquaholic

aquaholic Member

in an 05 silverado 2500 hd with the 6.0L gas engine. what transmission would be in it? my 02 with the the 8.1L has the 4L80 dually trans but i havn't kept up with what the general is doing lately.

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You most likely have the.......4L80e Transmission......the RPO Code for it is MT1.....you can find this code inside your glove to confirm.....along with all of the RPO Code....which stand for Regular Production options.....

Edit:.....also to find out what the other RPO Code are go to the below site and enter your Trucks Vin# number.....it will show you what your Truck came with from the factory,

Link,
    http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I thought the 8.1L came with the allison Standard.. guess i was wrong on that one...

4. aquaholic

aquaholic Member

i've never seen an allison bolted to a gas engine, only the diesels. you guys know if that 6.0L in a 2005 is cast iron block and cast iron heads or did they use the aluminum heads with a cast iron block?

5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The 6.0 Liter in 2005"....had a Iron Block with Aluminum Heads