05 Suburban Z71 rear caliper carrier removal?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ungwaha, Apr 5, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ungwaha

ungwaha New Member

I have a warped rotor on the back and have the parts to replace it. I tore into it last weekend and got the caliper off and pads removed then the problems started. I was ready for a Torx bit bolt but it looked to be a 17mm bolt head. I got the 17mm socket but it wouldn't fit the head so I got 18 and it was to big. My friend gets a 11/16 and it doesn't fit either.

Is there a "special" socket from gm to get these out?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Nope. A regular socket should fit it. regular sockets fit my 02 silverado, 03 yukon xl, and 05 yukon xl. You may have corrosion or dirt on the head causing your sockets not to fit
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club!!

Sounds like it's been rounded out, or like Pikey said it's all crudded up. I bought a set of rounded bolt sockets from harbor freight for $20.00, and they have saved me more than once. As a matter of fact I just had to use the 10mm, to remove a stripped bleeder screw out of a caliper.

- - - Updated - - -

From the factory they come with a T65 torx bit for the caliper bolts, but most people replace them with the hex head style bolts to avoid problems down the road. Auto Zone has them for $4.99 each, just replaced all of my last summer.
  4. bazar01

bazar01 New Member 100 Posts

I just did my rear brakes last month. My six point impact socket set is metric so it must be a 17 or 18.