1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

05 Trail Blazer problems at 50,000 miles

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by noffket, Jul 5, 2007.

1. noffket

noffket New Member

I'm new here...just getting acquainted. Found the site browsing tonight while our 05 Trail Blazer sits in the shop with possible major engine problems......maybe a "compression" problem? That's the first problem. Another is the loud whining the truck has been making the last week. One day, there was also a clunking noise coming from somewhere underneath.

Anyone else have similar problems? Anyone know where I can go to find answers?

Thanks.
  2. jbaniaga

jbaniaga New Member

please update what was wrong with your car and what was done to fix the problem.

I too am having the same issue with the high whinning noise, but NO knocking or lose of compression/power.
  3. GoldBowTie

GoldBowTie New Member

Does the high whinning noise that both of you are describing from your engines get louder and more high pitched as you increase RPM's? If so, you could have a bearing going out in your alternators, but more likely the problem the very common one on these rigs where the idler pulley has a bad bearing.

The idler pulley is black, plastic and has rounded edges and goes bad with some frequency it seems. Mine was bad when I picked it up at the dealer a few weekends ago - they replaced the alternator for me only to have the noise still present. Went from a $400 part to a $30 part really quickly.

Here is a photo of the pulley that I am talking about - it is the middle pulley - just under the alternator in the shot. You can pull the belt off this pulley - run it for a second and if the noise is gone - there is your problem.

[​IMG]
    1 person likes this.
  4. jbaniaga

jbaniaga New Member

Yes, the whining noise stays at all speeds. My girlfriend works for Power Auto Group and was able to get me an appointment tomorrow at noon under her employee discount, so I hope it is just the pulley and not cost me $$$ that I don't have. :)

Im glad to hear you got your problem fixed and for cheap also.

I will update my success story as soon as it gets fixed.

Thanks again for the update. Now I can go in the stealership talking like I know what the problem "could" be.
    1 person likes this.
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Awesome, look forward to hearing what you find.
  6. BUC NASTY

BUC NASTY New Member

could also be the alternator...