Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

06 2500HD 6.0 4x4 Crew steering rattle

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by magstar67, Apr 24, 2009.

1. magstar67

magstar67 New Member

I bought a 06 Silverado 2500HD Crew 4x4 6.0 in January with 19,000 miles. I noticed when test driving it that it had the usual steering rattle. I have had an 01 Silverado 1500HD crew and an 05 Avalanche that both had the rattle and were easily fixed by my local Chev dealer so I wasnt worried and bought the truck anyway.

Now the truck has 25k miles, dealer has replaced the I-shaft twice, the steering gear box, and the lower bearing (I assume in the column) and still hasnt been able to fix the rattle. On the last visit they messed with it for 2 days trying to find the source of the rattle with no luck, they called "GM Tech Assist" and were told that the I-shaft fix doesnt work on a crew cab truck and that it cant be fixed at this time, they are working on a fix for these trucks. Also said that larger than stock tires can make the problem worse (my truck has 265's on it which it had when I bought it from the same dealer).

This is BS on a truck this new, the dealer has been great but they dont know what else to do.

It annoys me so much that I even bought a $250 Borgeson aftermarket I-shaft this week and put it on myself...they are supposed to be much better built than the Chevy OEM part and will fix the problem...guess what...it didnt change it much at all. The only difference I could tell was that I could feel every little bump in the road, where before I could only feel some of them! Anyway, now I have removed it and put the new OEM part back on so I am out of ideals.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions...this sound is driving me nuts...I love the truck but I get mad as hell every time I drive it so I get zero enjoyment out of my new truck which sucks!

Thanks,
    magstar67
    magstar67@embarqmail.com

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The I-Shaft noise is a common problem that GM seems mystified with. Lube it or loose it seems to be their usual response. Apparently the shaft needs to be removed for proper lubrication. I imagine GM has spent a small fortune replacing noisy I-Shafts, and with no lasting results. Makes you think about buying a Toyota. :grrrrrr: (I hear their brakes suck)

3. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! Sorry to hear of your problem. I have 36K on my 06 and have had the ISS replaced once before and can tell it will need it again in the future but no rattles other than that and I have 35" tires so keep hounding the dealer or go to another dealer to get it fixed right.