1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

06 4.8 - Maintenance & Proactive Repairs

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by tecster, Mar 4, 2013.

1. tecster

tecster New Member

So I purchased this 2006 Chevy 1500 with the 4.8 V8, man do I wish I had a 5 speed transmission but anywho - I was wondering if there was any suggestions as far as preventative maintenance I should do to prevent common issues that occur with these. So far I've been on time with my oil changes, maybe over by a 1-200 miles here and there. Truck currently has 87xxx on it, the stealership recommended doing the transfercases and transmission fluids. That will be next on the list, since I just did front brakes!

Any suggestions, greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I would do the trans and transfercase, and the front and rear diffs. You can change your spark plugs out, 100,000 is recommended. I always do it early. I also changed out all of my front end components (tie rods, ball joints, shocks) on my 2002 silverado at 100,000 miles, I would have done idler and pitman arm also if the truck had them. Some say it is overkill. I kind of agree. Why change them if they are still within spec? I did it because 1) I had the money and time to do it myself 2) I was putting new Michelin tires on it and did not want to each through $950 worth of tires because of a $30 ball joint 3) I planned on keeping the truck and driving it until the body completely rusted off the frame. (that changed with the birth of a second child) It did tighten the steering back up like it was new. When I sold the truck with 135,000 miles on it everyone that test drove it was amazed that it drove like new.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013