06 4.8 - Maintenance & Proactive Repairs

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by tecster, Mar 4, 2013.

1. tecster

tecster Member

So I purchased this 2006 Chevy 1500 with the 4.8 V8, man do I wish I had a 5 speed transmission but anywho - I was wondering if there was any suggestions as far as preventative maintenance I should do to prevent common issues that occur with these. So far I've been on time with my oil changes, maybe over by a 1-200 miles here and there. Truck currently has 87xxx on it, the stealership recommended doing the transfercases and transmission fluids. That will be next on the list, since I just did front brakes!

Any suggestions, greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would do the trans and transfercase, and the front and rear diffs. You can change your spark plugs out, 100,000 is recommended. I always do it early. I also changed out all of my front end components (tie rods, ball joints, shocks) on my 2002 silverado at 100,000 miles, I would have done idler and pitman arm also if the truck had them. Some say it is overkill. I kind of agree. Why change them if they are still within spec? I did it because 1) I had the money and time to do it myself 2) I was putting new Michelin tires on it and did not want to each through $950 worth of tires because of a $30 ball joint 3) I planned on keeping the truck and driving it until the body completely rusted off the frame. (that changed with the birth of a second child) It did tighten the steering back up like it was new. When I sold the truck with 135,000 miles on it everyone that test drove it was amazed that it drove like new.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013