Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

06 5.3l camshaft swap.

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by chevy03, May 29, 2013.

1. chevy03

chevy03 New Member

I searched the forum for threads on this but didn't find any. I'm looking to do a cam swap on my 06 5.3l chevy. I've gotten a diablew custom tune and long tube headers with y pipe and flowmaster exhaust along with a CAI. I average almost 20 mpgs :) not worried about it though. And Im pretty sure I've got the 3.73 gear ratio. Soon to be 4.10

With all of this I still want more power. I'm looking for a more mild cam not anything crazy. Just had some questions, like would I need better springs? Rockers, lifters too? Should I get a better timing chain and pulleys too? Anything else lol? I just don't want to cut any corners or anything like that. Any help, pointers, suggestions, ideas very much appreciated.

Of coarse after I post the thread, I see "similar posts" sorry guys.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  2. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Does your 5.3 have AFM?

3. chevy03

chevy03 New Member

I can look at me AVG fuel economy in my cluster but nothing else. Don't trucks with AFM let you see instant fuel economy and you can see when it switches from v8 to v4? If so I don't have it.

4. dobey

I don't know if all AFM trucks have the instant or not. What's the RPO code for your engine? Since it is an 06, it's probably not got AFM, but it's worth being sure, as installing a larger cam unknowingly in an AFM engine coudl result in critical damage.

If it's not AFM, it's a lot easier to just swap something else in. How mild do you want it? Or how crazy do you want it?

5. chevy03

chevy03 New Member

6. dobey

What's the RPO code for your engine? Aside from knowing if you do or don't have AFM, it's also important to know if you have the 3-bolt or a single-bolt cam. GM changed to a single-bolt in later years, and between 05-07 a lot of the engines are a mix of Gen III and Gen IV.

I'm pretty sure the stock springs can handle a little more than 0.500 lift. Some of the stock cams are over 0.500 lift on intake. The springs would be good to upgrade, along with lifters, though. They're not a huge cost, and easy enough to change. Just don't drop them in the cylinder when you're swapping them out. Swapping lifters will require pullling the heads though, so if you're going to swap both, it's better to do both at the same time, and will make it slightly easier to do the springs.

I'd get rid of the long tube headers, and put in a nice set of shorties though. Long tubes are better for higher end power, but it's a truck, so it's not really helping you much. And shorties aren't going to be a significant drain in the RPM range of the engine. Moving a 6000 lb truck fast means you need to build some low end torque.

I'd go with:

- Intake tube swap (AirRaid Jr. MIT, custom, or a good CAI setup)
    - Shorties
    - 2.5"-2.75" cat-back exhaust (definitely no larger than 3" though)
    - Trans build
    - Cam to optimize lower end torque, flattening around 1500-5500 RPM
    - LS6 or stronger springs, and lifters
    - Tune to cut back TQ mgmt, and optimize for other mods.

7. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Member 1 Year

Your 5.3 should have a 190/191 .466"/.457" 114 LSA cam in it.. id suggest goin to the 212/218 or 214/220 on a 112-113lsa with your long tube headers.

IF you dont want to swap valve springs, dont do a cam.

A good budget cam is a 2002+ LS6 cam. good all around power gain.
    its a 204/218 .551".547" 117
    and you can run LS6 springs which usually run $45-80

8. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

x2 you can run up to a tr220 cam with ls6 springs but you'll want a converter to see the full gains of the cam. id do the ls6 cam or the 212/218 cam on low lift. peferably the 2nd on if you want more low end power.

9. accesshero

accesshero New Member

Hay guys how do I correct a jumped timing. My timing chain jumped and I am now replacing it with a timing kit as the gears and guides are worn . But I need to know how to set back the timing to where it should me. HELP!!!

10. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Member 1 Year

On a LSx engine you line your cam sprocket at 6 oclock and your crank sprocket at 12 oclock. If its a I5 or I4 in your canyon then I have no clue. Never been inside one of those engines.