1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

06 chevy silverado 1500 transmission trouble...possibly computer problems? help

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by uhley, Jun 7, 2012.

1. uhley

uhley New Member

[h=2]2006 chevy silverado 1500 shifts in and out of overdrive from 30mph to 55mph then stays in overdrive. Unplug battery terminals for half an hour. Hook battery back up and fixes problem temporarily. Go to start the truck again the next day and problem occurs again. Took truck to chevy dealer to reflash computer. Did so and still not fixed. Also took truck to transmission shop Aamco. They did all the tests they could and could not find a problem. What should I do? any help is appreciated. Thanks! [/h]

2. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The first thing to find out is whether it is dropping out of overdrive or if the torque converter is locking and unlocking. These are 2 completely different things that would very much feel the same. When it happens, lightly touch the brake pedal (just enough to make the brake lights come on but not to slow the truck). If the engine rpm increases when you tap the brake pedal, the torque converter is working properly. If the engine speed does not change when you tap the brake pedal, then your problem is with the converter locking and unlocking.

Let us know what you find.

3. uhley

uhley New Member

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a shot today and see what happens. thanks again

4. uhley

uhley New Member

I tried what you said and the rpms increase. I also tried replacing the max air flow sensor and the problem still happens.

5. uhley

uhley New Member

Okay so I took the truck to chevy again hoping to find an awnser. They hooked it up once again and got on the phone with gm. Supposedly this is a normal thing for these trucks? So all they did was tell me its normal and charge me $96 to do a diagnostics. I dont believe this is normal and am very frustrated...Can anybody PLEASE help? This is really making me wish I would have bought an f-150..hate to say it, but thats how frustrated I am.