'06 Colorado manual tranny questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)' started by otis24, Sep 18, 2011.

1. otis24

otis24 Member

Recently purchased a 2006 Colorado (I4 with 5spd manual tranny). Currently has 49700 miles. Did an AutoCheck when I purchased it and everything looked good. After the purchase, I checked underneath and the frame looked fairly rusty as did the drive shaft. Overall, I love the truck. A couple of issues though,

First: When I put the vehicle in gear, it really wants to go, even if I'm not touching the accelerator. Particularly in reverse.

Second: I parked it on a steep hill and did not put the e-brake on. The tranny would not hold the vehicle in first gear. Would slip a little at a time. Once had a Mazda B2000 that did the same thing. It had a weak engine (smoked like crazy) and a weak tranny, I'm sure.

Is it normal for the Colorado to want to take off without me touching the accelorator? Should the tranny be able to hold the truck on a steep hill without the use of an emergency brake?

2. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? I can also look into this for you with your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

3. otis24

otis24 Member

So far, I've been told that it is normal for the vehicle to want to roll on a steep hill because "the engine can only provide so much resistance". I replaced one u-joint today ad that eliminated the rattle that I was experiencing. As for the accelorattion issue, it does not seem as bad on a level area, but it does want to go.

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Have you done any type of maintance service like check the trans fluid?

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

With only 49.700 miles on a '06 it didn't get driven much. Maybe it is carboned up and needs a good fuel and intake cleaning.

5. otis24

otis24 Member

Will do a fuel and intake cleaning as well as a MAF sensor cleaning. Replaced a u-joint. That seemed to cure the whine in the rear end.