1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

06 Silverado upgrades

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by no0b123, Sep 11, 2007.

1. no0b123

no0b123 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Hello, I am new to this forum, looking for some help. I'm a High School Senior, and I got my first Truck..... A 2006 Chevy Silverado ext cab. >26,000 miles.

Anyhow, everything is stock (minus the Sony CD player) with a crappy V6 engine. I want to work on performance here, but am lost. I know almost nothing about cars, but I'm learning! I want a lot of horsepower, but have strength (I dont pull anything, I just like trucks). I want it to sound mean, loud, and powerfull with horsepower!

Maybe some links and detailed information on/ about parts? I did rear-end a truck last week, and my engine has a funny smell, but no visible damage. My breaks are also really bad, they don't even work until the pedal is pushed at least half-way down! Do I have ABS???

Pics:
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/no0b12345/IMG_0036.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/no0b12345/IMG_0037.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/no0b12345/IMG_0040.jpg
  2. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

First, before you do anything - take it to a mechanic to have everything checked out, especially the brakes. Could just be some air in the lines. ABS is also standard on your truck.

For performance, I'd go for a custom tune, you can search the forum for a few options. But that alone is going to give you the best bang for your buck. Then a CAI would help out a bit. And if you want to go crazy in the future, throw on a Turbo. :)

For exhaust, personally, I wouldn't recommend it on a V6. I've heard many many exhaust systems on lots of various vehicles/engines... and they just don't sound right on a V6. Any time I thought I found one that sounded descent, I'd get an audio clip of it on the exterior... and the next day I found myself removing it.

But tune, and perhaps CAI, good way to go.
  3. no0b123

I should get it looked at, any respected and reccomended places? And do they charge for this? And what is CAI, and how can I "tune" my truck? I found out it's a 4.3L V6 Fuel Injected engine.

-Should I upgrade in the late future, to a V8?
    -What are some things I can do to a V8 for horsepower?
    -What fuel should I use (regular, premium, super +)?
    -How much damage (cost wise) do you think I did to my fender?
    -Is it possible to have at least 330 HP in my truck (V6 OR V8)?
    -What can I do to improve gas mileage (I know these upgrades will kill me)?
    -Would a cold air intake benefit me?

Thank you omegafiler for your help!
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  4. omegafiler

I don't know of any places in Arizona, maybe somebody around here can throw out some suggestions. Or just call around, mention your issues, see what they say. Some places look at it for free, others will charge you - so definately a good idea to call first.

"CAI" is a Cold Air Intake. Replaces your stock airbox with a more free-flowing setup. Generally provides a minor increase in HP and adds a bit of noise (ie. engine growl). You can search around the forum for other setups.

For a Custom Tune, there are lots of there, such as Wait4Me (google it). You can also search for the forum. But basically it's a better route than a handheld unit (ie. Hypertech, Flashpaq, Jet, etc) since the tune is specific for your vehicle and you will obviously get the best results. This is always the best bang for your buck.

For fuel octane, just go with what's recommend. Unless you get a tune that requires you to run a higher octane.

And unless you are really attached to your particular truck, I'd just buy a new truck if you want a V8. Otherwise, it's never going to be worth it due to the high cost in parts/labor for a V6 -> V8 engine swap.

Many folks in your case would stick with the easy bolt-on mods, such as a CAI and Tune (custom or handheld), and enjoy the truck as it is. Then when you are in a position to purchase a new vehicle you can go for the V8.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  5. omegafiler

And to answer the other questions you added, you can get all the HP you want out of a V6 or V8 if your willing to put the time/$$$ into building up the engine to handle the power.

Really hard to say on the bumper from the pics. Almost any body shop will give you a free estimate. Sometimes they can just bend it back.

Gas mileage improvements are pretty standard across the board. Go easier on the throttle, check tire pressure, etc. Oh, and don't buy a V8. :)
  6. no0b123

WoW! Thank you omegafiler. I'll have to call around some places here in Arizona about tuning and stuff. I will look forward to buying some upgrades for this truck, and see how it handles. I have to first repair the FORD I rear-ended :grrrrrr:

He was too slow. Anyhow, I am pretty much stuck with a V6 then, which is a bummer because a V8 is more realistic for me.
  7. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

First off, welcome to the site! Second, You will be happy having the V6 in the long run with the fuel prices the way the are. You can beef up the V6 for more performance but even if it had a 4-cylinder in it, it's still a respectable looking rig that you should spend more time and money on slamming it to the ground, going with some sweet low profile tires on 24's, and building an audio system that will curl your girlfriends toes when it's bumping. You have a great start with such a nice truck! If you built it for speed you might start breaking things and risk the chance of a high-speed crash. I would rather be known for having the sickest ride around with class. Just my 2 cents:glasses:
  8. no0b123

What would I need to do, to later achieve at least 300 HP in my V6 Silverado? I currently have 200 HP. And some sweet 24' wheels would look bad ass. Maybe your right dwill3015, I should pimp out the truck :happy:
  9. no0b123

Ok, what is the CAI? And do you have any links to where I could get one (or info. about them) for my Chevy?

And would a throttle body spacer benefit me at all? If so, what would you recommend for my truck?

What does it take to get dual exhaust for my truck with FLOWMASTER SUPER 44?

Thanks for your help guys, I went driving around to some Auto-mechanic places but could not get help from the people there :sleep:
    So tomorrow, I'll go look around again....

I'm going to get a Performance tune done, but until then, how can I increase Horsepower THE MOST efficient way?
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  10. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Nice truck. Mines a 2 wheel too, makes things interesting in the snow but you dont have to worry about that! That V6 isn't too bad if you think about it, Im also a high school senior and I drive a V8 burb and a sierra. I basically just go to the gas station and hand them my paycheck. So I'm with dwill, that truck would look badass sittin low on big rims setting car alarms off with the stereo.