1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

06 tail gate wont open??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 5speedsilverado, Mar 16, 2009.

1. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i was picking up some walking stones for my yard the tail gate opened fine when i was loading my truck, but when i went to unload the handle moved, but the tailgate didn't pop open. i haven't got a chance to look at it, does anyone have any clues what would cause this??
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

06 tail gate wont open

I beleve theres a plastic piece on a rod that breaks off.
  3. silverlight

silverlight New Member

Yep, plastic piece was my problem. I took off the handle and saw the rod not attached.
  4. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

it is a dealer part only, they are like $5 for the pair. i lucked out and showed up at the dealer at the right time. he had just given a customer on side which happened to be the opposite of the one i needed, and got it for free
  5. 5speedsilverado

yeah it was a clip, i went searching through my dads garage and found some metal ones that looked like it, and they work so hopefully they wont brake, i replaced both of them with the metal clips
  6. vegaschevy

vegaschevy New Member

Been there done that..always at the most inoppurtune time too. When I went to buy some for mine the gal at the counter said I should buy a dozen. You think they would make them out of metal like on my old 84 chevy. At least the replacement ones anyhow. Bummer was breaking the titts off the cosmetic cover for the tailgate handle when accessing them. Have been without that since.
  7. High Voltage

High Voltage New Member

Do these just break without warning? Mine has been more difficult to open lately and I'm thinking its about to quit soon.
  8. 5speedsilverado

yeah, mine was working as always, then i went to open it, and it wouldn't "pop" maybe yours needs greased??:neutral:
  9. ippielb

ippielb Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

White Lithium Grease, cheap for a little tube of it. I used it once on my old f-150(i know im sorry) and i never had any problems with the tailgate not locking ever again, or unlocking.