1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

07-13 NNBS Headlight Mod

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by the phantom, Jan 11, 2014.

1. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts

Well I finally bit the bullet and bought a set of Euro crystal clear signal lense with a black background headlights off Ebay for $175. My sole purpose was to either use these newly purchased headlights for my project or save these if I screw up the stock ones. Well after receiving them and getting ideas what I wanted to do I decided to use the new ones. My plan is to remove the lense off of the backing and start with painting the black background red to match my truck. Then I will install two 4" Color changing Halo rings around each light and a matching color changing strip across the middle. Also I have the switchback signal bulbs this is why I went with the clear signal lense. The color changing smd lights will all work by remote control. (cheap ebay stuff).

I removed the rubber grommets and wiring from the back of the headlight and pre-heated my oven to 230 degrees. I placed the light on a cookie sheet and stuck it in the oven for 10 minutes. I used a infrared thermometer heat gun to be sure my oven was accurate. I checked the plastic just before I pulled it out and it was at 185 degrees. From what I understand the lights will melt at 285. All that is needed to get the butyle rubber seal around the headlight flexible seems to be about 185.
    It took two times of placing it in the oven to remove the lense from the seal. by the time I began using a flathead screwdriver to pry open and pop the tabs it began to cool. After the second time back in oven for 8 minutes the glue seems to allow the lense to pull off much easier. The second light I only had to put in the oven once since I was that much better at it the second time.:lol: More to come when I can post up pictures:grrrrrr:
  2. the phantom

woohooo Pictures!!!! 2012-02-11_09-28-19_468.jpg The rings are in ready to mount. 0110142229.jpg 0110142052.jpg 2012-02-23_19-29-19_136.jpg 0111142056.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  3. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts

Looks great. Keep us updated with lots of pics.
  4. the phantom

I will, Im looking at doing my foglights next. Mounting the rings is one of the challenges and also making sure the light gets good and sealed back up. Again I will probably buy an aftermarket set of foglights to rip into so I dont ruin the stock ones. That way if and when I sell the truck I can either keep them/ sell them seperate, or allow the new buyer to do what they want with it.
  5. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

looks awesome bro! I have been wanting to paint mine white for quite some time now, just never pulled the trigger. neither of my headlights are factory anymore (friend drove it drunk and smashed the driver side... haters happened on the passenger), and the lenses SUCK.. can you post a link to the ebay item you bought for the headlights? they look pretty good!
  6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

The demon eyes look awesome, but I think your going to regret painting the housings. I know what happens to them from experience lol, you'll find out soon enough.
  7. the phantom

I asked an experienced sign painter about what to use and he said the new krylon fusion paint for plastic works very well. [MENTION=53287]08_rado_rocker[/MENTION] if you search silverado euro crystal headlights you should find a couple options ex smoked w/ amber lense clear w/ clear signal lense ect.
  8. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

dont be an ass lol.. what happened in your experience? and what kind of paint did you use?

- - - Updated - - -

right on.. ill have to check that out. I would think that using a high temp paint would be the best route, looking forward to see how this holds up for you! Did you clear them at all? Also curious to know how the fitment of those particular lights are on your truck?
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

those look sweet. Now hurry, I need to see pics of them on your truck!! :great:
  10. the phantom

yeah gonna be a bit for install in the truck, one of the rings had 3 smd lights that were out for the color blue. The seller is sending me another ring to replace it along with small ones for the foglights. I did not clear the paint. How hot do you thing it gets in there with the stock lights? I felt the lenses with the headlights on and really didnt feel heat throught the lense itself. Im hoping the rings withstand the heat but I would imagine they should considering that it is what they are used for. Also I wouldnt think that the paint would have issues with the heat if its not getting that hot. My sign guy told me that paint technology has come a long way from just the old basic rattle can paint of yesterday.