1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'07 2WD Stock suspension tire clearance question/ Rear lowering shackle ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by MoBillyAla, Aug 16, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. MoBillyAla

MoBillyAla Member 100 Posts

My 07 Silverado has the 245/70 R17 which are 30.5" and I will be buying new tires in October (I'm in Afghan right now), my question is I am looking at sizing up just a little and a member here has Falken A/T on his 4WD, and I really like the way they look. And living upstate New York I need a little meatier tire than the "slicks" I used last winter. A 265/70 R17 jumps to 31.6" and a 285/70 R17 is 32.7". So my question is for a stock suspension 2WD what size do you recommend that won't rub?

Secondly, I want to take the extra height out of the rear of my truck, (the one or two inches that all trucks give the rear suspension to compensate for towing)...does anyone know if this is the right part/way of doing this without drastically affecting my towing capacity? What is the right/best way to even the ride height of the front and rear of the truck?

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/BEL6400.htm

btw I have an Ext cab with the 4.8V8, Midsize bed(Regular length Bed)

thanks for any advice, I'd like to be able to buy online so their ready to be put on when I'm home for my two week vacation...
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

First I would like to say.....Thank you for your Service......:great:......and Wishing you a Safe Return home to your Family and Friends.

Regarding the Tires Size's you've posted,
    The 265/7017's.....with the Overall Diameter of.....31.7ins' would be a Better fit, with this Size Tires you should not have any issue's with rubbing.......the 285/70's........with the Overall Diameter of....32.7ins, would most likely have some rubbing issue's.......with either size tire you are going to need to have the Speedometer Re-Calibrated for the Change in the Overall Diameter of the Tires, and last if you are installing these tires on your Factory Rims the 265/70's, will be Once again a Better Fit.

Regarding the Dropping the Rear of your Truck.....There are a couple of ways to lower the rear of your Truck.....2in" Drop Shackles that would be the one of the ways to go and is the leased Expensive way to go and would not have any Effect in anyway with Ride Comfort.....Its the Route I went with my Truck.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  3. MoBillyAla

Thanks for advice,

Mike, Kinda what I was thinking about the tires, I will look at the 265's a little harder, also probably research tuners a little more as far as re-calibrating the speedo..Its good to know from someone that uses the drop shackles that it doesn't interfere with ride quality. The few times I tow with my truck its usually a loaded car trailer, cross-country, and I don't want to mess up what capabilities I have. Sweet ride btw, and thanks again "First I would like to say.....Thank you for your Service............and Wishing you a Safe Return home to your Family and Friends." -Thank you and my pleasure. Wont be soon enough, right at the halfway mark on this tour...and its starting to feel like a year already : (

Update:
    I have decided to go with the Falken High Country 265/70/17 which are 31.6 compared to my stock 30.5, so I don't think the extra inch will give me a rubbing issue. I can get them done at Sears for around $800(I am limited in options in the Ft Drum area..) Next on my list is a decent tuner to adjust my speedo..does anyone got a reasonably priced tuner they would recommend, I will mostly use it to adjust speedo, the only other performance upgrade I can see me getting in the near future is a K&N Filter (charger?) system.. I will look around I'm sure there is a thread or two on tuners as well.. thanks again for advice..
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  4. MoBillyAla

photo.jpg photo (1).jpg
    Well I got my tires 265/70/r17 and so far not issues rubbing or anything I think they look good and fill in a little bit of the excess wheel well...however the they destroyed my rims when they changed my tires, the pic is from the d/s front and its the worst the rest are very minor compared to this one..If I had more time other than my two weeks at home I think i would of went in and went ballistic...so disappointed they would do this to my truck, I got my tires put on at the local sears..
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

HOLY CRAP!!!.....I'm having a Hard time looking at the Rim pictured......Sears is the tire shop that mounted the New Tires on the Rims and cause the Damage I'm looking it???.....:grrrrrr:
  6. MoBillyAla

Mike,
    Yep it was Sears that did the damage... : (
  7. sgtsjj

sgtsjj New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

very nice looking truck, did you contact sears about the damage are they gonna do anything about it?
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

As mentioned above by.....sgtsjj......have you and/or do you Inform Sears of the Damage done to your Rim(Rims)after having them(Sears) install the new tires on the Rims??....
  9. MoBillyAla

Thanks sgtsjj,
    But no I didn't say anything to sears..it was pretty close to my young son getting out of school and with me only being home for 2 weeks with a lot of activities planned I just left.. I hate getting bent over like this but didn't feel like fighting it..
  10. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Wow that sucks, hopefully your issue gets resolved soon.