1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

07 5.3 avalanche engine noise

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Dctackett10, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Dctackett10

Dctackett10 Member

Can anyone tell me what this sounds Like to them. Is it a knock, lifters. This is killing me. Had nothing but trouble since I got this stupid truck

It's a 2007 5.3 avalanche with 120,000 miles on it. All the fluid levels are fine with no engine light on

I no the AFM in these trucks are awful and are a major problem. But don't they consume the oil. Mine don't. Help.

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I am not much help, but have you tried using a stethescope (or long screwdriver) to try and further pinpoint the noise. Not always the easiest thing to do though.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It's got a little burp, burp, burp to it, maybe an exhaust leak.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Sounds like mine at 114K No Problems...
  5. jskylark1969

jskylark1969 New Member

Check your exhaust manifolds they could be cracked they normally crack under the rear exhaust port.
  6. silverado002

silverado002 Member

Sounded to me like an exhaust leak and some possible ticking in the top end. Almost sounds like lifter noise but not sure without being there. Also for a split second I thought I heard a slight metallic scraping sound from around the idler pulley.
  7. nsguy

nsguy Member

My old ears don't work so well now, BUT, I thought I heard idler pulley noise...