1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

07 chevy silverado rear end gears

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by carlos3395, Nov 24, 2010.

1. carlos3395

carlos3395 New Member

hello, everyone my name is carlos am new to the truck world,,i own a 2007 silverado lt /5.3 2wd... my truck came with a 3:42 gear am trying to find out if i should stay with that or go with the 3:73 gears .. am just looking for a little more pep from the truck and mpg,,thx all in advance
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i think with the cost of converting it you will actually save you money and fuel as well by staying with the 3.42 rear. the 3.42rear is what they recorded the EPA fuel numbers off of. Now if you want more pep there are a ton of other options that you have and most will save you fuel as well. Try looking and searching around the site some and you will be surprised at what you can do..
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I agree with murdog94, for the cost of regearing you can get some performance other, easier ways (long tube headers, Diablo programmer, CAI) and they should help your gas mileage.
  4. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hey Carlos welcome to the GM truck club. I gotta agree with Murgog & STB on this. Unless you plan on doing a lot of towing or hauling heavy loads, STAY with your 3:42s. You'll be a lot happier at the gas pump, & like they said, there are a LOT of other alternatives that are easier than swapping gears.
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome!!! Gotta agree with what's stated above.
  6. carlos3395

carlos3395 New Member

thanks everyone i will be staying with the 3:42 ,,i do appreciate the advise i will be doing some research on cold air intake and a programmer and exhaust .,,hope u all had a great turkey day
  7. rotaryenginepete

rotaryenginepete New Member 100 Posts

this is a tough one. As they said above the gear swap will take with it your good gas mileage. But out of everything COMBINED I have done to my truck I noticed the best increase in acceleration/power from the taller gears. Its what they used to do back in the 60's/70's to make a muscle car go faster. Stock 0-60 was about 7.5-8 seconds (depending on conditions). After all my engine mods, the programmer, exhaust, CAI, ignition and spacer, it only went down to about 6.7 seconds, maybe 6.5 seconds on a nice cool day. Then I put on the lift and 33" tires and it went back up slightly around 7 seconds. After swapping from stock 3.73 to the 4.56 gears, the thing is rediculous. I have a friend with a radar gun zap me at 5.5 seconds and my tuner backed it up. The best and worst part is that I can roast my 33" tires, but I don't want to roast these mud tires! As far as trucks go I've only been beat by an SRT-10 since the gear swap, not even a Raptor or a Tundra can catch me until after about 110mph and by then I have no more gears left in my transmission lol. Been looking for a redneck guy with an old 350 and 4.56 gears to whoop my butt someday, but just havent run into one yet. But if you're just looking for a little more fun, get an exhuast so you can enjoy the sound of it, and a programmer, intake will all help get the MPG down even more.