'07 Equinox Quirk Question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by oldscsc, Sep 1, 2008.

1. oldscsc

oldscsc New Member

I've got an '07 Equinox. It's white, DVD player, every available option except navigation. Here's my question: When I don't have the keyless entry (or when someone else is driving it), they have to use the key to get in it. By doing this, the horn honks intermittently (supposedly for security) and if you don't put the key in the ignition the alarm will go off. I'm wondering why they did this, but more importantly, how can I disable it? Thanks--Scott

2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My guess is that this is in place for theft deterence... however you spell it.

You can open the door.. but if you don't prove you are supposed to be in that particular car by putting your key in the ignition then the alarm goes off. Sooo.. no one can pop the door lock or gain access to your locked vehicle without proof that they have the key to start it.

As to how to disable it... I have no idea.

I would not disable it, though! Seems a good thing to have.

3. oldscsc

oldscsc New Member

Sounds good on paper, but it is very annoying when it comes to daily driving. Thanks for your help.

4. road rash

road rash New Member

Buy an extra remote or 2 They can be found on ebay for under 15 bucks.

5. oldscsc

oldscsc New Member

The problem is that my husband won't carry a fob. He says they're too big for his pocket :grrrrrr: He'd rather hear the honking than carry a remote. :sarcastic: