1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

07 GMC knocking in the steering

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dennish, May 24, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. dennish

dennish New Member

I have a 2007 gmc 4x4 5.3L that all of a sudden started to knock when I turn the wheel. I just got in it, started it up, and when I went to move, I slightly started turning and heard an awful knocking sound. It gets louder as I turn more. Anyone have any ideas?
  2. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard. there are people on here that can help you with that problem but I am not one of them. Good luck though. :glasses:
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I moved your thread to the correct section so that you will get more responses/opinions related to your issue.

Sorry, I do not know either, but as Donyms mentions, someone should be along soon who does.

....And Welcome to the Club!!!
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome! :great:

Sorry you're having trouble. A knock in the steering? It could be steering clunk. Search this forum and there's a write-up on how to address it. Adding a zerk fitting and pumping the intermediate steering shaft full of grease seems to be the most permanent and convnient way to do it, and it costs about 10 bucks to do if you already have the tools.

What is steering clunk? Basically, the intermediate steering shaft in our trucks start to clunk or knock when the grease within the shaft dries up. The result is unlubricated metal on metal contact. Not good, but it won't hurt anything in the long term, it's just darn annoying, because the steering column seems to amplify the most minor of sounds into major ones ... and it's right there in front of you driving so you can't help but notice it.

If it's not steering clunk I'm not sure what it could be, as I don't think tie rod and pitman arm issues would manifest as knocks at the wheel.