07 malibu transmission fluid mistake / issue

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by justaphase44, Oct 20, 2013.

1. justaphase44

justaphase44 Rockstar

Alrights guys, got a good one here. My sister has a 07 malibu and she accidentally put power steering fluid in her transmission reservoir. :grrrrrr: i know, super dumb. But, now idk the best move to make next. Tow it / drive it to garage and flush trans, possibly replace any gaskets etc? I'm not a trans guy at all, so any help / would be appreciated.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would take it and have it flushed. Although the ps fluid may not harm anything immediately, it does not have the same properties that trans fluid does. It expands at a different rate. Lubricates differently. I would have it flushed and new trans fluid installed asap.

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

By chance, Did your Sister mean, that she put Transmission Fluid in the Power Steering Reservoir??...:neutral:

4. justaphase44

justaphase44 Rockstar

Yeah I advised her to flush it asap. Thanks for the info/quick reply pikey.

No heartbeat, unfortunately she managed to put ps fluid in the trans lol.

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ya know, I'm not going to go against what the others have said, but I was wondering how much did she use?

Both are hydraulic fluids. ATF will have some dye and some additives for longer product life and better lubrication. The ATF is a superior product. But if only a little PSF was added, the net result would not really change the properties of ATF.

6. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Oh no! I see that your sister is in a sticky situation with her vehicle regarding putting power steering fluid in here transmission reservoir. Private message if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care