1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

07 malibu transmission fluid mistake / issue

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by justaphase44, Oct 20, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. justaphase44

justaphase44 New Member

Alrights guys, got a good one here. My sister has a 07 malibu and she accidentally put power steering fluid in her transmission reservoir. :grrrrrr: i know, super dumb. But, now idk the best move to make next. Tow it / drive it to garage and flush trans, possibly replace any gaskets etc? I'm not a trans guy at all, so any help / would be appreciated.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would take it and have it flushed. Although the ps fluid may not harm anything immediately, it does not have the same properties that trans fluid does. It expands at a different rate. Lubricates differently. I would have it flushed and new trans fluid installed asap.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

By chance, Did your Sister mean, that she put Transmission Fluid in the Power Steering Reservoir??...:neutral:
  4. justaphase44

justaphase44 New Member

Yeah I advised her to flush it asap. Thanks for the info/quick reply pikey.

No heartbeat, unfortunately she managed to put ps fluid in the trans lol.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ya know, I'm not going to go against what the others have said, but I was wondering how much did she use?

Both are hydraulic fluids. ATF will have some dye and some additives for longer product life and better lubrication. The ATF is a superior product. But if only a little PSF was added, the net result would not really change the properties of ATF.
  6. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Member 100 Posts

Oh no! I see that your sister is in a sticky situation with her vehicle regarding putting power steering fluid in here transmission reservoir. Private message if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care