1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

'07 Sierra 1500 - What would cause both horns to be shot?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Doublez-Down, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Doublez-Down

Doublez-Down New Member

Hi all - first post.

So I didn't even know I had two horns, but apparently I do...and they are both shot. The passenger side one sounds a little, more like a cough than anything, and the driver side one doesn't make a sound. The fuse was blown, so I replaced that, but still nothing. There is no horn relay that I can find, and the manual doesn't mention one, so I don't think I have one.

Anything else to do but replace them? And is there any other way to do it besides taking off the whole front bumper?

What would cause them to both go out at once? Dealer wants around $250 to fix them. :no:

Thanks all.

2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

remove the horn and apply 12 volts to it. see if it blows the 10A fused test wire to it.

I have found the passengerside horn to fail first. the driverside is more protected on my 2000 chevy.

If the horns are shorted or corroded open then when replacing one is hi the other lo tone.

what youu do is place a insect cloth screen over the horn opening. this reduces snow/water from entering. mount horn so it points downward so water drains out.

you can get a horn from another scrap yard vehicle. the older the horn the less it is likely to fail.