1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

07 silverado 4.8 metal flakes in oil change

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by vortec07classic, Oct 9, 2013.

1. vortec07classic

vortec07classic New Member

Am I experiencing normal wear and tare when I see metal shavings in my oil drain pan? Engine sounds and runs strong just not liking this. 68k
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Not a good sign.......cut the filter apart and see whats in there. You can also send a sample of the oil in to get analyzed....I am not sure who does this though
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

How did you find the shavings? Does the drain plug have a magnet, or did you see them in the old oil?
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

See if a magnet grabs them- iron vs aluminum
    Not that it is good either way.
    Like poncho says-cut that filter open-now
    new filter-do it anyway-
    if it is chewing something up-you'll have metal after just a few hundred miles(or less much less)
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Based on the fact I've never seen metal in the oil of my 203,000 mile 5.7L Vortec I think something Is up. I've only seen metal in the oil of one engine I have worked on and it had thrown the push rod through the side of the engine. The only time metal in the oil may be normal is the first 3,000 miles of operation because the motor is being warn in.
  6. vortec07classic

vortec07classic New Member

I found them in the bottom of my oil drain pan and on the magnetic drain plug. I do have an extended warranty and im good for the next 4 years. But they will not drop an engine unless theres full mechanical failure. But im assuming by every ones post that this deff not good. Engine sounds perfect and puts down the power with no problem and holds 40 psi at idle. Im using 10w30 f/s super tech oil. I've read great reviews on that oil but only on the internet. Am I being mistaken? Also really no need to open oil filter because its all over the drain pan that I dump my oil into.
  7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

All over-
    You mean LOTS of metal flakes?? Not just a few?? NOT GOOD!
    Are they magnetic-stick to the magnetic-meaning iron
    Lots of metal flakes means-don't stray too far from home
    No long trips-keep your tow insurance-AAA or whatever in force.
    I would still pull the filter-cut it open- if it is filled with flakes--don't drive far from home.
    I had a motorcycle-lots of metal in oil-
    but it still ran-it was the cam and rocker arm follower-eating one another-
    but it still ran-sounded a bit "metallic" -but it ran.
    Stay close to home-that sucks
    Super tech-isn't that a discount oil-cheap oil-??
  8. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Metal flakes that can be seen with the naked eye should be trapped in the oil filter. With an engine with that many miles, you should be getting very little metal wear anymore.

I was not aware that GM put magnetic oil drain plugs in their engines.
  9. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hello vortec07classic,

I understand that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I know you are looking for advice on how to resolve the issue yourself and I might not be able to give any technical advice but I just wanted to stop by and let you know that GM Customer Care is here on the forum and happy to assist if you ever have any general questions or concerns about GM products.

Best regards,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care
  10. lfb57

lfb57 New Member

Does not sound good. I think if I were you I'd make sure all of my maintenance records were up to date. Does your owners manual specify 10W-30 for the temperatures usually seen in the area that you live in? I think I'd continue to drive it as usual, hoping that it will fail before the warranty ends, or better yet keeps running well..... far beyond the warranty expiration. Good luck!

(you didn't cross thread the drain plug did you??)