Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

07 Silverado Classic MPG question

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by BigRed07, Jul 6, 2010.

1. BigRed07

BigRed07 New Member

Hey, I have an 07 silverado classic and was wondering if there are any upgrades I can do to improve my MPG. I have the a manual so the MPG isnt terrible but i would like a little better haha. I've heard replacing the fuel pump? I'm not that techy and don't really know what needs to be done. ANY advise will be helpful, thanks!

2. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Yes there are aftermarket parts to increase your fuel milage. But first, be sure to keep your rig tuned up, keep your tires properly inflated, and dont hotrod your truck. Then after that you can install an aftermarket intake and exhaust and get a custom tune for your truck or get a programer. All these things will help you increase your fuel milage and your horsepower as well.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Agreed however you need to figure how much the parts will cost compared to how many miles you drive yearly. If you net a total of 2miles per gallon out of all the mods mentioned (which is a pretty good real world estimate). If you drive 15K miles a year and net 20mpg with out the mods then you are using roughly 750 gallons of gas. And at current average prices of $2.71 you will spend a total of $2032.50 per year on fuel. If you are netting 22mpg you will burn 682 gallons of Gas at a cost of $1847.72. A good cold air intake costs roughly $300 (est and basically an average) and a good exhaust will run $300-$400. And a programmer will run you $375ish. All of these are based on an average they may cost less or more depending on the company etc. So you are looking at $900 minimum to get the $184.78 in savings meaning it will take you 4.87 years in gas to recoup your money saved. Now if you plan on keeping the truck for more than 5 years you will save yourself about $200 per year after the first 5 years that you have those modifications on your truck.
    So as Silverado Junkie said you can do these mods but if you are doing them purely for milage then you will need to look at lenght of ownership/to gas use to get an idea of how much you will save. But keeping your truck tuned up. Especially Proper inflation of the tires, a clean air filter (if not a performance/reusable) then change it every 15-20K miles. Your fuel filter can be an important part to fuel milage as well and i change mine every 4th or 5th oil change. You can run longer that is just how often I change mine.
    Also if you ever plan to change your tire/rim combo, then you will need to factor in that larger rims and tires will degrade your milage as well.
    Now if you want to do these mods in favor of More power as well as Milage then the aforementioned modifications are your best places to start.
    Also for future posts please post engine size as well.. That will better help with numbers.