1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

07 Silverado Driver Door Latch Cable

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mrmarin, Nov 10, 2013.

1. mrmarin

mrmarin New Member

Has anyone else had this problem? I have an 2007 Silverado Ext Cab (new body style) last month I could not open the driver door from the inside and was forced to have to roll down the window to open the door from the outside. Later I took off the door panel to see what was going on there. I noticed the door latch cable was Ripped. So my question would be can I just replace the cable itself or do i have to buy the whole door latch system? Anything would help thanks.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I've never heard of this happening before. Can you get a pic of it, as I'm confused how it could become "ripped".
  3. ChevyFan

What trim level do you have?
  4. mrmarin

mrmarin New Member

Thats what i said. Ill try and post a Picture of it. My truck is a 2007 Silverado 1500 ext cab 1LT short bed
  5. ChevyFan

6. ChevyFan

Oh, I misread what you wrote. The door latch cable. That's #8 in the diagram. No clue ... Did something get in there? Ever been wrecked or stolen?
  7. mrmarin

mrmarin New Member

#8 is exactly what it is. It has never been wrecked and as far as to my knowledge it has never been stolen. Since you mention that it might be a possibility that it was tampered with. That is the cable i was talking about. What i have come to find out is that the most common reason for not being able to open the door from inside is that the little ball at the end of the cable will pop out of the harness. unfortunately that is not the case here. So do you think i can just replace that part?
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Once you get the old cable out it wouldnt surprise me if you found the induvidual cable strands are corroded.
    Cables just like any other bare metal need preservative applied every once in a while.
  9. mrmarin,

I understand that you are seeking technical advice on how to resolve the vehicle issue you are experiencing yourself and I might not be able to give any technical advice. If you find that you are unable to resolve this yourself, I am more than happy to look into this for you. Private message me if I can be of any assistance.

Regards,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care