1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

07 Suburban Nav. Radio

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by marko54, Oct 15, 2011.

1. marko54

marko54 New Member

I am considering upgrading to a Nav. unit. I already have the Bose pkg. as well as the rear DVD Ent. Pkg. I was considering getting an OEM unit that will be programmed and unlocked by the Ebay seller who sells quite abit of the Nav. units. Is there a Decent OEM looking unit That i should also consider? I am looking for the most compatible, easy plug and play unit and not a Flip out type. Thanks.
  2. mah2496

mah2496 New Member

I've had a kenwood dnx6140 for two years and love it. Before my kenwood, I had pioneer nav unit for a month and ended up selling it. The kenwood's garmin nav and parrot bluetooth features work great!
  3. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 New Member

My first mod to my truck was getting rid of the stock radio for a Kenwood DNX8120, full nav, dvd player, bluetooth, 7 inch touchscreen, ipod adapter and back-up camera. I paid a little over 1,400 for it at the time, I debated getting the OEM nav but that was 2,500 dollars. I figured I would go with the cheaper and ultimately better radio.
  4. marko54

marko54 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I went with the Kenwood DNX6180. Getting it installed tomorrow.
  5. marko54

marko54 New Member

On a side note, installer originally mounted the GPS antenna under the dash. Struggled to obtain a satellite. Had him remove and remount the antenna on the roof. Now the DNX6180 never looses a satellite, even in my garage the GPS works great.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm not sure why your installer would put it under the dash, but I'm glad it's working well for you via the roof.

As a FYI, the DNX series usually comes with a small, thin metallic square that has adhesive backing. That's intended for placement as far forward under your windshield glass as possinsible (right next to the light sensor works great) ... such that the magnetic gps antenna can adhere to the metal you just provided for it ... and have a clear view of the sky through your glass.
  7. marko54

marko54 New Member

Thanks Surrealone, i dont know why he mounted it under the dash at first. I was concerned about it. Later on i went on a Corvette forum and a poster had the same issue with his DNX not working or real slow. He later mounted it on top almost in a defroster duct. never the less, mine now stays locked on to a satellite ready to Nav. at all times. 010.jpg 012.jpg