1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

08 2500HD Dmax Oil Change

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Axobreil, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Axobreil

Axobreil New Member

Hey yall,

I was just wondering, on an 08 2500 Dmax, is the oil change just like a regular pick up? One filter, one drain plug, and oil? Does anybody know the exact amount of oil these trucks take also, thanks! I live in South Texas, any oil recommendations?

:shocked:
  2. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Member 100 Posts

I would be happy to look into this for you. In order to do further research, I will need the VIN for the vehicle. Please feel free to contact me via private message as well. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

yes just like a regular oil change. they just use a whole lot more oil. not sure on the capacity (some of the earlier 2003 etc were 10qts with filter). the newer ones with the DPF take 5w40 instead of the older 15w40
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  4. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yes they are all 10qt systems on the D-max. I also have an 08'. Just make sure you use a CJ4 oil that has the low sulfated ash content. I of corse recomend using Amsoil if you want to make the engine last forever. I use DEO 5W-40 Amsoil in my truck and change it about every 20,000 to 30,000 miles. With GM, Ford, and Dodge trucks there is no extended drain interval on 07'-10'. There is fuel dilution problems with the way they have the regeneration for the DPF. I take oil samples and I have been lucky so far. The last sample I took was with 22,500 miles on the oil and still no fuel in the oil. There are a lot of these trucks out there that get +5% or more with only 5,000 miles on the oil. So even if you chose not to run Amsoil I would taker an oil sample when you change your oil just to see if there is fuel in the oil. Better safe than sorry and lose an engine.
  5. kcb37

kcb37 New Member

I would agree with 10QT, all Dmax's are 10QT. Filter and drain plug.
    Amsoil will be a waste for you. I also have a hard time believing anything over 10k on an 08. Fuel dilution is a big problem on those trucks. If you go with an 07 Classic or an 11 and up your good. Between that the DPF just puts fuel in the engine.
    Blackstone labs can test your oil for you.
    Conventional will be your best bang for the buck with the lower miles you will have to run between oil changes.
    As said just make sure it's diesel oil
  6. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would have to disagree that Amsoil would be a waste. It is always better to use a premium oil for better lubrication and better fuel milage for that matter. Amsoil now has OE oil for those people that want to go shorter drain intervals and of course it is at a lower price point as well. Amsoil OE Diesel oil