08 GMC 5.3 victim

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Danny R P, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Danny R P

Danny R P New Member

Hello fellow dis-gruntled GM owners! I live in Alaska and I have strictly owned 7 Gm trucks since 1982.My 08 1500 sierra required the lifters to be changed @ only 47000 miles (2 months after warranty on engine expired).Out of pocket cost to me was $3200! After 800 miles of driving, a loud knock and low oil pressure couple with check engine light reared its ugly head. Short story,after lots of run around by GM....I will be replacing engine with a used one at my expense AGAIN! No relief from GM! My remedy? Fix it,sell it.Seems like GM could have done more for a life-long customer like me?? Also, I purchased a 2013 Ford XLT, which is significant given the fact that GM is now Ford`s biggest future asset! Bottom line....GM has a serious problem with 5.3 liter engine and should stand behind their life long customers! Good luck to the rest of you, I like my new FORD!!!

2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Who charged you $3200 just to change lifters? You got robbed. You could have probably had a new crate engine put in that truck for less than $3200.

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

How many miles on it? Your the only owner? Did you write a letter to a Service Manager at GM? We have one on here that you should write too

I see you had 47K Well the 08's have a 100K warr on the motors.. So somethings Not write......

4. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Ya something isnt right with this story

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Yeah, but only good for 5 years, that's what got him.

6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

****Thread Moved Here****

7. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Danny R P,

I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I cannot guarantee anything but I would like to look into this concern for you. Private private message me with a brief overview of your concern, your contact information, VIN, exact mileage, and preferred dealership.

Sincerely,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care

8. Danny R P

Danny R P New Member

Just past 5 years on engine,so GM said...Sux to be you!

I know $3200 was a lot to pay for lifters,but in case you didn`t know- set of lifters,have to pull head to change both sides,all necessary gaskets are expensive. Parts and labor in Kodiak Alaska $3200.Crate motor $4100 WITHOUT shipping charge.Then at least $1500 labor ....Do the math, I did.I was lead to believe initially cost would be about $2000.Had I known,I would have probably swapped engine first time. Anyhow, 3weeks after repair the oil pump failed causing crank,and main bearing failure.Ended up buying an engine out of wrecked Trailblazer to swap.$2400 purchase, $560 shipping from Anchorage. Additional $1500 labor. All this took about 5 weeks and in the meantime I needed a pickup for work. I`m a fisherman so not always in town,but when I am here I need reliable transportation and service. I wasted significant time with GM Customer Care-Less, so I made the decision to buy a Ford. The only way GM could ever re-gain my trust would be in the form of compensation of at least one of these repairs, buy my Ford at no loss to me and then make me a smoking deal on a new truck with a really great warranty. The 08 Sierra is for sale now that it`s running again.Call for info!

9. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

holly hell, they hand it to ya on lifters huh.... i could do them in a few hours and costs like $600 tops.... crazy

10. Danny R P

Danny R P New Member

Waste of time talking to GM.

After posting on this site, I was contacted by a GM rep. She requested VIN, mileage, and other info that I had already provided to customer-careless. I`m seeing a pattern here. After wasting my time at no expense to GM, I`m curtly told "I see your case was already closed". NO KIDDING?! Like we didn`t already know that! Why did you waste my time AGAIN? So beware when buying a GM product. This lifter issue should be a re-call item, and oil pump failure is a close second. I live in a small town, and I have heard of at least 3 other vehicles with these issues-with less mileage than mine. Seems fairly common to me. Just google "problems with 5.3 liter GM. Good luck from the New FORD Customer!!