1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

08 GMC 5.3 victim

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Danny R P, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Danny R P

Danny R P New Member

Hello fellow dis-gruntled GM owners! I live in Alaska and I have strictly owned 7 Gm trucks since 1982.My 08 1500 sierra required the lifters to be changed @ only 47000 miles (2 months after warranty on engine expired).Out of pocket cost to me was $3200! After 800 miles of driving, a loud knock and low oil pressure couple with check engine light reared its ugly head. Short story,after lots of run around by GM....I will be replacing engine with a used one at my expense AGAIN! No relief from GM! My remedy? Fix it,sell it.Seems like GM could have done more for a life-long customer like me?? Also, I purchased a 2013 Ford XLT, which is significant given the fact that GM is now Ford`s biggest future asset! Bottom line....GM has a serious problem with 5.3 liter engine and should stand behind their life long customers! Good luck to the rest of you, I like my new FORD!!!
  2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Who charged you $3200 just to change lifters? You got robbed. You could have probably had a new crate engine put in that truck for less than $3200.
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

How many miles on it? Your the only owner? Did you write a letter to a Service Manager at GM? We have one on here that you should write too

I see you had 47K Well the 08's have a 100K warr on the motors.. So somethings Not write......
  4. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Ya something isnt right with this story
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Yeah, but only good for 5 years, that's what got him.
  6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

****Thread Moved Here****
  7. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Danny R P,

I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I cannot guarantee anything but I would like to look into this concern for you. Private private message me with a brief overview of your concern, your contact information, VIN, exact mileage, and preferred dealership.

Sincerely,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care
  8. Danny R P

Danny R P New Member

Just past 5 years on engine,so GM said...Sux to be you!

I know $3200 was a lot to pay for lifters,but in case you didn`t know- set of lifters,have to pull head to change both sides,all necessary gaskets are expensive. Parts and labor in Kodiak Alaska $3200.Crate motor $4100 WITHOUT shipping charge.Then at least $1500 labor ....Do the math, I did.I was lead to believe initially cost would be about $2000.Had I known,I would have probably swapped engine first time. Anyhow, 3weeks after repair the oil pump failed causing crank,and main bearing failure.Ended up buying an engine out of wrecked Trailblazer to swap.$2400 purchase, $560 shipping from Anchorage. Additional $1500 labor. All this took about 5 weeks and in the meantime I needed a pickup for work. I`m a fisherman so not always in town,but when I am here I need reliable transportation and service. I wasted significant time with GM Customer Care-Less, so I made the decision to buy a Ford. The only way GM could ever re-gain my trust would be in the form of compensation of at least one of these repairs, buy my Ford at no loss to me and then make me a smoking deal on a new truck with a really great warranty. The 08 Sierra is for sale now that it`s running again.Call for info!
  9. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

holly hell, they hand it to ya on lifters huh.... i could do them in a few hours and costs like $600 tops.... crazy
  10. Danny R P

Danny R P New Member

Waste of time talking to GM.

After posting on this site, I was contacted by a GM rep. She requested VIN, mileage, and other info that I had already provided to customer-careless. I`m seeing a pattern here. After wasting my time at no expense to GM, I`m curtly told "I see your case was already closed". NO KIDDING?! Like we didn`t already know that! Why did you waste my time AGAIN? So beware when buying a GM product. This lifter issue should be a re-call item, and oil pump failure is a close second. I live in a small town, and I have heard of at least 3 other vehicles with these issues-with less mileage than mine. Seems fairly common to me. Just google "problems with 5.3 liter GM. Good luck from the New FORD Customer!!