'08 LS: traction & stability indicators "intermittently" remain on

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by 04-silverado, Feb 3, 2014.

1. 04-silverado

04-silverado Rockstar 100 Posts

hello all,

I just bought an '08 Trailblazer LS. Sometimes (not always) when I start the vehicle, the traction & stability indicators "remain on" as I begin driving... and they remain on. If I stop the vehicle and turn off the ignition and then restart... they ALWAYS "go out and remain out". No other issues, and no MIL...

any ideas?

2. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

04-silverado,

Hello! I understand that you are seeking advice on how to resolve this vehicle issue and I might not be able to give you any technical advice but I would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message me if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care

3. 04-silverado

Thanks for the offer to help, Jennifer.

I think this might be VOLTAGE related (if not a faulty/dirty connector somewhere). I had Advance Auto to do a Battery+Alternator test. The results indicated that the battery is good and has a full charge... but, the alternator is outputting 15 VDC, and that means (or could mean) that the internal voltage regulator has gone out.

I'm waiting for a little better weather and will change out the alternator... if that doesn't clear up this intermittent, I'll then crawl under and see if connectors and/or wiring are in good repair.

- Karl

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I'm guessing, the "lights" are indicating the two systems have turned off

I'm suspecting your truck does not have the Driver Information Centre. I'm thinking if it had the DIC, there would be a message saying the two systems are turned off.

Then, turning the key off/on resets the systems.

We have had a number of threads this winter about these systems turning off. Try a search for "traction control", maybe something will turn up.

There has been some suggestions that a dirty mass air flow sensor is to blame

5. 04-silverado

I think "NO" to DIC, at least I have not noticed any "digital" messages (where mileage, trip mileage, are typically displayed).

We've recently had messy roads (snow, ice, slush, salt & sand, etc.)... so "if" this is related to front wheel-hub speed sensors, I'll get around to checking that out when weather/drier-conditions permit.

Additional notes: I've used the "Auto, 4WD-hi, and 4WD-lo" settings, while driving around the past several days (on messy roads)... and all settings seem to act normally.

I have also... while driving with both of those indicators OFF... pressed the button on the driver's side of the center console gear-shifter: it does turn ON and OFF the traction control indicator (only, not the stability control indicator).

I've done the MAF & Throttle-Body cleaning on many vehicles, including: my '04 silverado, friends: '99 silverado and '99 sierra, '03 Ford LTD, '05 Grand Marquis, '00 Buick Century, '07 Subaru, and many others)... it is something I intend to do on the "new to my possession" '08 Trailblazer LS.

I do think YOU are correct in saying they are only indicating that those two systems are TURNED-OFF. But having both of these indicators ON (systems OFF) doesn't affect my "very conservative" driving... :glasses:

Long-range weather forecast here makes this coming Sunday look best for trying to get to the bottom of this...

Oh: I did a "traction control" SEARCH... there's just way too much stuff for me to read through at this time! :gasp:

Thanks for the response here, Ray. I'll post results as my troubleshooting progresses (hopefully getting the VOLTAGE "properly regulated" will resolve it).

6. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

04-silverado,

You are welcome! I do understand that you would like to resolve this issue yourself. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care

7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

On mine, a push turns off the traction control, holding the button for 5 seconds turns off both. Give it a try.

8. nr_ward

nr_ward New Member

04 Silverado,

Did you figure out what issue you were having, and if so, did you find a fix?

I have the same issue in an 06 LS Trailblazer that I bought back in October. I stopped by the independent shop I use when the lights were on and they were able to tell me a code (which I don't remember, but do have written down in the truck), but that it is related to the Steering Wheel Position Angle Sensor in the steering column going out. Could be the sensor is bad or the wiring to it is frayed or something. I guess this sensor tells the computer which way the tires are angled as you turn the wheel as you drive.

May want to check that out before you replace the alternator. Will probably be a cheaper fix as I have found these sensors for 60-80 bucks.

Anyway, good luck or god job if you already have it fixed.

-Nate

9. 04-silverado

I'll give that a try the next time this problem occurs... see my next reply:

- - - Updated - - -

Well, with WARM WEATHER that problem has not reoccurred... so I've done nothing (yet). However; after researching a bit more (and since this thing now has 110 Kmiles on it) I did order a steering-wheel position sensor [SWPS] and have it sitting here in case the problem happens again.

On the box in which the SWPS came is an admonition to VERIFY EBCM PROGRAMMING IS CURRENT (TSB # PIT4411C)... I'm having a GM dealership do some other work on my TB this week, so I'll ask them to "verify" that for me.